06 April 2009

Ironman 70.3 California - The Recap

If you don't mind, I'd like to share a little of the 70.3 (half Ironman distance) triathlon from yesterday. Yes, it's self-indulgent but some people don't mind if I spill a little of my experience.

Here are the dry statistics first:
There were 146 men entered in my 50 to 54 age group and a total of 2113 men and women participating.
SWIM 1.2 mi., split time 28:42, pace 1:30/100m, 2nd in age group, 150th overall
T1 (transition) 8:26
BIKE 56 mi. split time 2:50:09, pace 19.75 mph, 26th in age group, 504th overall
HR133ave, Speed39.1mph max
T2 2:20
RUN 13.1 mi. (half marathon) split time 2:04:16, pace 9:29/mile, 51st in age group, 1102nd overall
Final time 5:33:53. I was 38th in my age group out of 146 men and 716th overall of 2113 athletes.

Run splits:
mile 1-2 - 16:36, HR151/147
mile 3 - 8:55, HR151/144
mile 4 - 8:17, HR147/143
mile 5 - 9:02, HR147, 142
mile 6-7 - 18:59, HR149/144
mile 8 - 10:11, HR144/139
mile 9 - 10:45, HR139/134
mile 10 - 9:51, HR141/136
mile 11 - 10:27, HR146/136
mile 12 - 10:10, HR139/135
mile 13.1 - ~11:03, HR153max/?ave... didn't stop the watch

I hope you don't mind but I'd like to start with my concluding 2 paragraphs first.

Completing this Ironman 70.3 and doing it in a pretty respectable time for a 50+ year old is a dream come true. Taking on a challenge, setting a goal, and working to achieve that goal is a very satisfying process. While it is true that this is really an intermediate goal, a stepping stone, to my ultimate goal of a full distance Ironman, I am not making the mistake of overlooking this success in itself. Mrs. Sladed has been supportive all along the way and allowed me to stay committed and consistent in my preparation. Having her be there and knowing that she helped me achieve the dream has made it all the more special.

Son 1 came down from LA and took some great picture! (And we went out for a great Mex food dinner last night.) Mom was there for the start of the event and then had to leave to be with "dear old dad". It's a little sad to know that Dad ("Frank") isn't able to enjoy the sports scene or watch the competition anymore thanks to Alzheimer's Disease. He spent many fine weekends coaching or watching my Bro and I playing sports when we were younger. (He especially love the long, boring age group swim meets that seemed to take forever!) It was unfortunate that Son 2 had to work but his friend, our "Son 3", aka Armymat, came and saw part of the run. I know that Laz, Italiphil, and my bro 441 all checked up on me via the race tracker link. Thanks to everyone for being a part of this meaningful, emotional day!

And now, back to the start of this post...

I can't help but be pleased with my effort and result, this being my first ever triathlon at this distance. The T1 was very slow because I was so concerned about the cold that I took extra time to get arm warmers, toe warmers, and full-fingered gloves on. Without that I could have saved 4 to 5 minutes...but would have been more uncomfortable on the ride. The run split appears to be slow thanks to plantar faciitus and 2 months of next to no running except in the pool. It was a struggle most of the way: painful foot and quads that had a tough time working under the affects of gravity! All things considered, 2:04 for my 1/2 marathon split was pretty darn good.

With the ocean temp at 59 degrees on race morning, I had been very concerned about it. As it turned out, thanks to adrenaline and a nice triathlon wetsuit, the water was, if not comfortable, at least quite tolerable. As usual I felt like I took a good line and swam a slightly shorter distance than many of the other competitors around me. I always feel sorry for the swimmers in the group(s) that start before mine because the slower swimmers end up getting run over/swum over by the leaders of my group. And they're the ones that can tolerate that the least because they are the least competent and comfortable out there in the first place. For the first time I managed to get some drafting benefit by swimming right behind one of the leaders in my group for the last third of the 1.2 miles.

Transition 1 was slow, as I mentioned before. I had a tough time getting the arm warmers on my wet arms and the bike gloves were a tight squeeze. I could feel the time slipping by, and the stress increase, as I struggled more than usual getting my stuff on before running out with my bike to the "mount line" so I could hop on and get going.

The bike went well. I was never very cold thanks to the precautions. The hills that came beginning at mile 29 were not as bad as expected. The hill training I did, along with the 3 Century rides, plus the studio cycle/spin classes, really helped prepare me to handle this mere 56 mile ride. Though I'd hoped to average at least 20 mph, it was still faster than any of the Century rides leading up to this. Adrenaline and the constant presence of other riders definitely have their impact on you out there on the road to push you and make you work harder.



Transition 2 was the opposite of T1 - fast. I got the bike stuff off and the running shoes on in 2:20.

I did forget to take of my 2nd shirt (a 2nd layer I added for the bike ride) so when I found Mrs Sladed and Son 1 early on, I stripped it off and gave it to them before going on. I wasn't thinking at all clearly though and struggled to get it off while still holding my liquid carbohydrates and my hat. It was probably funny to everyone but me. The first 2 miles or so were brutal before I got some sort of rhythm going. Despite that I started at a good pace, a pace that I couldn't maintain as the foot pain increased and the quads began to bark at me in protest. Also within those first 2 miles was the cruel first quarter mile section of running on beach sand. Returning to that sand 3 more times was not something I looked forward to. The 2nd loop was slower than the first loop as I struggled along. The final 2 miles or so did feel a little better, though not faster. It probably was pumped that I was going to finish and achieve what I had worked for. A few times, especially near the end, I started to get emotional and had to reel it in so I wouldn't loose focus.

As I crossed the finish line I resisted the urge to stop my watch. You don't want to have your finish line picture of you pushing a button on your wristwatch. I learned that from last year's marathon. As soon as you cross they have people handing out cups of water, other people removing your timing chip, and still others giving you your finisher's medal, shirt, and hat. If you look wobbly they'll direct you to the medical tent. Otherwise you head to the food and drink tent. I took a moment to have a little emotional cry, one of three before heading home.

In the food tent were stacks and stacks of pizza boxes. Water and Gatorade were being poured. And there were bananas and plain bagels piled up for you to eat at the tables. There was no beer or O'Douls in sight. I didn't stay in there because I wanted to find my support team who'd spent 6 hours at the race. After a brief connection I went to the medical tent to ice my foot. That ice eventually served a second important purpose: icing the O'Douls nonalcoholic beer I'd brought in my gear bag for after the race. Ice in beer? Darn right!

Asides:


  • There was one guy who rode the bike and ran the 13.1 miles dressed as Elvis
  • I was passed on the run by at least 3 challenged athletes - two in wheelchairs and one a single leg amputee
  • One athlete had a marriage proposal printed on his shirt
  • The best aid station at the race was an unofficial one. Some woman sat at the end of her driveway and had dozens of water bottles and a bowl of ice available for anyone to take. 3 of the 4 times I past her I took ice and stuffed it under my running hat to keep me cooler.
  • I only managed to loose 1 thing at the event: a bike bottle. And that happened in the morning darkness, at least an hour and a half before the start. I also (purposely) left behind a pair of worn out dress socks and some $3 flip flops that I wore for the 40 minutes I spent waiting in the line before the swim start, keeping my feet warm. More than one guy expressed black sock/flip flop envy as we waited.
  • All along the bike course, but especially just past bumps in the road, you find bike debris. Water bottles, inner tubes, CO2 canisters, energy gels, and even mandatory race numbers that you're required to wear.

Completing this Ironman 70.3 and doing it in a pretty respectable time for a 50+ year old is a dream come true. Taking on a challenge, setting a goal, and working to achieve that goal is a very satisfying process. While it is true that this is really an intermediate goal, a stepping stone, to my ultimate goal of a full distance Ironman, I am not making the mistake of overlooking this success in itself. Mrs. Sladed has been supportive all along the way and allowed me to stay committed and consistent in my preparation. Having her be there and knowing that she helped me achieve the dream has made it all the more special.

Son 1 came down from LA and took some great picture! (And we went out for a great Mex food dinner last night.) Mom was there for the start of the event and then had to leave to be with "dear old dad". It's a little sad to know that Dad ("Frank") isn't able to enjoy the sports scene or watch the competition anymore thanks to Alzheimer's Disease. He spent many fine weekends coaching or watching my Bro and I playing sports when we were younger. (He especially love the long, boring age group swim meets that seemed to take forever!) It was unfortunate that Son 2 had to work but his friend, our "Son 3", aka Armymat, came and saw part of the run. I know that Laz, Italiphil, and my bro 441 all checked up on me via the race tracker link. Thanks to everyone for being a part of this meaningful, emotional day!

No comments:

Post a Comment