16 May 2016

Clif and Chips Problem - Two Weeks Later

2 weeks ago I started to purge things from my diet and temporarily remove some things that seemed to be problematic. While I have a particularly bad habit with Clif bars and chips (tortilla and potato), I wanted to experiment with eliminating ALL grains, legumes, sugars, sweeteners, breads, fruit, fruit juices, and any processed carbohydrate-type "foods". I wrote up some details on what I was doing, here. My goals were three: 

1.     Determine if or how sensitive I was to carbohydrates, identify ones might cause problems, and ID ones I tolerate well. 
2.     Get off of Clif bars and the the chip-eating habit. 
3.     Regain control of my food choices and learn ways to successfully and safely maintain 'race weight'. 
This was not intended to be a "weight loss diet" or long term eating strategy. It was intended more as a learning experiment and as a chance to reprogram my thinking and habits.

Results so far:

While the plan and experiment continue, I've had mixed results so far. I'm usually good about reading labels but fell WAY short on two items. Last week I discovered that my vegan protein powder also contains powders derived from fruits and fruit was off my list of food items. There is also a little stevia in my greens powder. Other than that I stayed away from all grains, legumes, potatoes and sweet potatoes, sugars, breads, fruit, fruit juices, Clif bars, Chips, and other processed carb-type food. I ate when I wanted to and didn't count calories or restrict my diet in other ways. (Well, let me take that back. I've written about my diet, especially as it relates to ulcerative colitis/pouchitis and being an endurance athlete. I don't do dairy - milk, cheese, ice cream or yogurt, drink alcohol, eat sweets - cake, cookies, candy, etc., or eat animal proteins except fish and eggs.Yes, Clif bars, sports gels, etc. are pretty much just candy.)

My desire for Clif bars and tortilla or potato chips has lessened slightly but is still a driving force. In past situations where I've had those items the desire is still triggered and the desire is strong. Rewiring has not taken place yet. However, having an absolute, black and white RULE has kept me from backsliding. I have found this works even better for me than having a rule that includes a "cheat day" or something similar. While making exceptions be hard to control and can lead me down a slippery slope (which is how I got here in the first place), I will still make certain very limited exceptions where necessary. There better be good reasoning and a conscious decision each time or I'll be right back where I started. I'll need to sort those things out BEFORE the situations arise.

I have not noticed any changes in how I feel, how much energy I have, or how I sleep, etc.

I weighed in at 162.5 lb. when I started. After 1 week, in spite of staying hydrated and not restricting calories, I weighed 154.0 lb. Today I was 153.0 lb. As stated, weight loss wasn't the goal but it is a happy byproduct. This weight, I believe, is a good one for me. Whether it stays here as I slowly add back foods is yet to be seen.

What's next

Starting tomorrow, Tuesday, I will slowly add back some but not all of the food items I removed from my diet. I will not add back Clif bars or chips, sugars, and fruit juices. Limited grain will come back in. Bread and/or pasta items will be limited to social situations where it's much more difficult to avoid. Legumes, potatoes, and fruit will be added selectively. I can see times where I will be "at risk" for backsliding. Anticipating those and planning ahead to have other options will be the key to success.

With all that said, I will be adding one thing back at a time. If I notice something not being quite right then they may become things I avoid completely in the future.

The first thing back will likely be black beans. Other legumes, quinoa, brown rice, and blueberries will likely follow. This little experiment will be interesting to me. I know it may not be for everyone but my quest is to be healthy and to make fueling during training and racing easier.

Disclaimer: I ain't no registered dietitian, nutritionist, doctor, or scientist. The information in this post is my own personal opinion based on what I'VE come to understand as true and accurate. Of course I could be TOTALLY WRONG. Just sayin'...


No comments:

Post a Comment