14 November 2017

Training Update - Race Week!

Here's a final training update for the lead up to Ironman Arizona. As usual, feel free to NOT read:
I haven’t posted since getting sick at the same time my taper was to start. Here’s what’s up, sans training totals.

I usually taper for 3 weeks leading into an Ironman. 3 weeks out usually begins with a small reduction. Unfortunately I came down with a cold that Sunday and needed to take days completely off. Monday I gave a 90 minute Facebook Live talk on the Arizona race and had good attendance for it. Feeling better Thursday, I got in the pool and felt like I was swimming through mud. Pulled the plug and waited until Friday to try again. Picked up training where I left off, though felt a little more fatigue. I had a mental math mileage miscalculation on Sunday and rode more than intended – 98 miles.

Last week (2 wks out) went well, getting all but 1 ride and 1 brick run in. I also spent this past weekend getting the bike ready to race. Race wheels, brake pads, and hydration system all needed to be mounted. It should be ready to tear up the 112 miles come Sunday, fingers crossed.

This is the final week of training. I’m feeling a little fatigue still, likely because of being sick but not certain. I’m backing off more than I’d like in the hope of being well-rested for Sunday.

Training, packing, and taking care of last minute stuff always takes more time than I expect. I have stuff everywhere as I 'stage' everything I'm taking. Clothes for day-to-day, race nutrition measured out and sorted, race stuff into separate piles for bagging, travel food, etc. Garmin stopped working yesterday so replaced the batteries. Didn't have what I needed for the race wheels so got that stuff. Bike wasn't working right yesterday so John at Revolution Bike put it right. As I waited some guy came in on a bike dressed in Tinley gear. That company was bought out in the '90's by Reebok so it seemed weird. Of course, when he spoke to the bike mechanics... it was Scott Tinley himself.

Linda, my mom, and I will drive out on Thursday morning. The weather is predicted to be beautiful, actually a little warmer than usual. I say, "Bring on the heat." Will head straight to the expo to check in and get my packet before we head 5 miles down the freeway to Mesa, Arizona. I’ll miss both of my sons and Courtney this year as they won’t be able to be there this time.

I have no predictions on how the race will go. Training has been unconventional for me this time. I have goals, which I’ll post later for anyone who cares. This will be Ironman #10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment