29 July 2007

Sunday, 29 July 2007 - Solana Beach Triathlon

Did my second sprint triathlon last Sunday in Solana Beach. This time I used a rented Triathlon bike instead of Mrs Sladed's trusty mountain bike. It made a difference, no doubt about it. I survived the race with no injuries this time and was pleased all-in-all. Thanks to Mrs Sladed and Italiphil for coming down to watch the foolishness and festivities!

The biggest four things I learned this time?
1. Go slow at the start of the run to get the legs going and prevent injury.
2. It's okay to walk a little during the run to give the muscles a break and so you have something left. I walked at around the 1- and 2-mile marks for 20 to 30 seconds.
3. Do NOT have your water bottle in your hand while trying to make a U-turn on the bike course! I dropped it before I got anything to drink. Fortunately a race official picked it up and had it for me on the second lap.
4. If I want my sunglasses to last past the transition area, I need to use something besides the $2 pair I found in Son 1's junk box from when he was 8 years old!
My splits and placing:
7:22 - 1/2 mile Swim (with Spring wetsuit even though the water was 72)
3.54 - swim-to-bike transition, including long run from beach to transition area 27:17 - 9 mile Bike (using rental bike)
1:11 - bike-to-run transition
25:04 - 3 mile Run (not actually a 5K)
1:04:50 Final Time
(1:04:41 Official) - 17th out of 37 Men, age 50-54; 300th overall out of 599 Men entrants; 366th overall out of 1000 entrants

No comments:

Post a Comment