01 October 2017

Long Ride - did not go to plan

I'll keep it as short as I can. I write this NOT to say, "Look what I did." I write it to give an example that shows that you need to adapt, adjust, find solutions, and keep moving forward.
  • I intended to ride 113 miles today, starting at 7:15am
    San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant
  • Drove to the Y 15 min. late due to slight colitis issue. Began ride at 7:30.
  • Left parking lot and bike wouldn't shift. I have electronic shifters and either the battery died or I managed to disconnect the wires BY accident while fixing the aerobars last night.
  • Drove back to the house, took my old bike off the trainer, and made it road-ready as best I could. Haven't ridden it outside in 8 months. Replaced tire, pumped tires, got repair kit, transferred aerobottle mount and bike computer. 
  • Started ride nearly 1 1/2 hours late.
  • Enjoyed riding the bike I had ridden many thousands of miles - my Felt B2, 2008. It did take 15 miles to adjust back to only shifting on the ends of the aerobars.
    Empty field - Camp Pendleton
  • About mile 30, in front of the San Onofre Power Plant, I came across a guy struggling to fix his mtn bike's flat tire. I stopped to help. He had a patch kit and no tube. I tried to patch it and remounted the tire. When he pumped it, air quietly hissed at another spot. This tube had multiple patches so it seemed hopeless. I also concluded he didn't know how to take the rear tire off to replace the tube. 
  • He had limited English and his cell phone was only good for internet with WIFI. I didn't have the Lyft or Uber apps so called a taxi. They couldn't come. I called Linda instead. She arranged a Lyft ride to San Clemente Bike Shop but the driver was 45 min away.
  • I explained things to Yuki. Then he asked how far to get a "beverage". I said I could ride and get him one while he waited. Water? I asked. He agreed but I pressed him and he said Coke. I got back with his drink and then rode to the power plant gate to find the driver.
  • Linda spoke to the driver and he found Yuki. I rode up and explained things, loaded the bike, sent him on his way with my business card, and called the bike shop to tell them what was happening, leaving my name just in case. Hopefully they got him taken care of and on his way, exploring SoCal on a bike.
  • Linda changed our dinner plans so I could finish my training.
  • Continued my ride after losing nearly an hour (on top of the late start). Got home around 3:20pm and then got a 40 min  brick run in.
  • The final 65 miles had my undercarriage very unhappy. I didn't take the time to swap out the saddle and was riding the underwhelming and not very comfortable seat that came with the  newer bike. It was not designed for my sit bones.
When things don't go as planned, problem solve things - don't just give up! Be flexible and see what happens. You never know how things will turn out. Be smart about it but don't just pull the plug too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment