18 November 2015

Ironman Arizona 2015 Race Report


Ironman #8 is in the books. Ironman Arizona #5 was a success with many goals accomplished, including a top 10 finish and a personal best time by 17 minutes. I achieved some of my process goals and some of my experiential goals but fell short on others. Here is the VERY LONG version of my race. A big reason why it has this much detail is that we had at least 6 people from our Tri Family who signed up for next year’s race and it will be their first Iron distance who might get some little nuggets here that could help them in their own racing. Plus our TC Tri athletes may find something useful in here as well.

This full Ironman was going to be a little different for me. Like Silverman 70.3 there would be friends/teammates racing as well. I would get to be out there with Kat and Scott. It was going to be awesome having over 20 people out volunteering and/or spectating, cheering us on and getting "A Taste of Ironman"with Linda doing all the hard work of coordinating, leading, and herding people to where they needed to be.

Coming into the race I wasn’t perfectly healthy, with joint and muscle ‘stuff’ going on in my back, knee issues and hip flexor pain. On the actual race day all of that was either resolved or manageable. Friend Phil worked on my back on Saturday, the knee pain was barely noticed at all, and the hip flexors were finally good to go when I hit the run course around 1:30pm.

Prepping for race day always seems so ridiculously time consuming and complicated. Having a list is essential, as Linda had to remind me. I PRE-bagged everything at home before we even left for Arizona so how hard can it be to gather your stuff? Well, you have to sort into 5 different race-provided bags, have your bike ready to ride, and have your nutrition planned out and placed where it needs to be (on the bike, in a transition bag, in a Special Needs bag)?! And what if the weather is hotter or colder than expected? You need to plan for everything because you can’t just stop the race, go home, and get something. You have to rely on yourself and on the volunteers at the race.
The night before nearly everyone had dinner together. (I ate salmon, some rice, baked potato and butter, and a little bread – skipped the usual vegetables) I got to bed right around 10pm after I was certain all my race nutrition was prepped and all my stuff was laid out for the morning. Up at 4am, dressing, getting nutrition in (smoothie with vegan protein, coconut milk, supergreens powder but no veggies plus a bagel), and taking care of bathroom necessaries. Chris Holcroft stopped by and helped me finish getting taped up with Rock Tape to make my 5 ½-6 hour ride in aero position as comfortable as possible. It wouldn’t be the last time he would help me have a successful race.

We finally left the hotel room at 5:00, about 15 minutes late. Linda drove and dropped us off to minimize my walk. I took care of all my preliminary needs, not forgetting anything. I don’t always take a list to remind me what has to be done but this time I did. I would have forgotten stuff without it. I texted Linda, said goodbye to Shepa Corey and Mom, got my wetsuit on to my waist and warmed up my arms. Saw Kat briefly. I dropped my clothes bag and lined up “by time” for the swim start. It was orderly and roomy enough.

Water temperature was 63 degrees and pretty comfortable with a full wetsuit. Many people complain a lot about the conditions of the water because it’s silty, visibility is 1 to 3 feet, and it doesn’t exactly taste great. I don’t know: maybe it’s because they’ve never swum at De Anza Cove! There’s something to be said for experiencing conditions that aren’t as good as those at the race.

I got help zipping up my wetsuit as I stood waiting in the “starting chute”/swim start lineup. I did some push ups and chatted with a woman coach who was with TC Tri (Bay Area) in 2011 and then someone who said I should move up. I was a little confused because the first group sign I saw said “Under One Hour” but the 2nd sign said “Between One Hour and Ten Minutes”. There really wasn’t the one that should have said “Between One Hour and 1:10” or maybe it was because I was giving too much credit to the sign maker and they hadn’t proof read it. I moved forward and it turned out to be the right move.

SWIM 1:01:08 (3rd in age group) A few minutes before 6:40 there was a moment of silence for the victims of terrorism in France the day before and then the national anthem. The male pros went off at 6:40, with females 5 minutes later. I poured some bottled water down my front with about 4 minutes to go so I wouldn’t start the swim without getting wet. As it turned out it also made it easier to stand there and pee in my wetsuit without a problem since water was already dripping out the bottom (and because… it made me want to pee!) We started 5 minutes after the Pro Women and once we started it was Move-Move-MOVE down the steps and into the water without hesitation. I felt crowded for about 200 meters and only got hit twice – once kicked to the left goggle and once having the right goggle briefly bumped off my eye, letting a trickle of water in. After swimming through, between, and even over some athletes who seeded themselves early because they worried about making the cutoff time, things opened up and mostly continued to get better. I’d say that this non-mass start allowed people of similar speeds a better chance to draft. At least I think that’s why I had my 2nd fastest swim ever. I stayed within 10 to 20 yards of the buoys on this wide swim course. My pace was steady and strong, but not excessively strenuous. One other success? For the first time no leg or foot cramps! I think this is because I did more open water swim training than ever before and I also frequently reminded myself often to relax my feet instead of kicking like I was still a competitive swimmer.

At the swim exit the stairs barely extend into the water so it’s hard to get out. I grabbed the railing, swung my butt around onto the steps and then was pulled up by the amazing volunteers who practically lifted me up. Others helped me unzip and I pulled the wetsuit top down. Running through the wetsuit peelers, AKA strippers, I see Sally. She and another volunteer helped me to the ground on my back and then peeled my wetsuit off me before helping me stand up. Leg cramps were about to grab me as I stood but didn’t take full affect.

I jogged through transition with my wetsuit. Other athletes passed me but I didn’t want to spike my heart rate for a 10 second time saving. Had my bike bag handed to me and got into the changing tent where Chris was my amazing personal man servant. We got my socks, bike shoes, helmet, arm warmers, chamois cream, bike gloves with hand warmers, and miscellaneous nutrition where it belonged and off I went to get my bike, drinking water to get my Imodium and amino acids down. 

Spectathletes eating bfast while I ride
BIKE 5:21:49 (3rd fastest in age group - in 2nd) My bike was passed to me by a volunteer and I ran down the center aisle to the bike mount line. Running past it I did my usual running cyclocross style mount… and MISSED the saddle, ending up rolling up the hill with my butt on the top tube. That’s never happened to me before and I practice the mount every week. I finally got right and up and out of transition, still well ahead of the people who got to the mount line at the same time as me. My running the extra 20 feet gave me a nice cushion so that even if I swerved to get on the saddle and clip my feet, I still wouldn’t run into any of them.

The weather was a cool mid-50s, cloudy, and breezy to start. I was very glad I took time to put on arm warmers and I left them on for at least ½ the ride. The course is 3 loops or out-and-backs. I successfully took it easier than usual for the first ½ loop, sticking to my nutrition plan. I always find it interesting to see who I pass in the early part of the ride: fast swimmers of every size and shape, men and women alike.

The return on the first loop is a net downhill. I felt good and picked up the pace a little. I began to get more competitive by grabbing the energy I inevitably feel when I pass people. This continued as I pushed on. I was feeling good, having fun, and relishing being able to race. I really was loving it. My head drifted, as it often does during a long ride, to my athletes and I started formulating my pre-race speech for Team Challenge at Bass Lake (which is only 7 ½ months away!) The clouds across the valley looked like they’d let go at any time but the rain took it’s time to slowly at some point; not exactly sure when.

Early into the 2nd loop, after I’d gone about 42-45 miles I began to pass the slowest swimmer-cyclists who were just starting their first loop. My heart went out to them as they struggled up the “false flat” terrain, mostly into the wind. It’s often even tougher for them. I can and did stay comfortably aero for most of the ride but some of these athletes tend to be fairly “big units” and have to take a far less aerodynamic position. The wind just SMACKS them.
I began to underfuel my calories a little though I was hydrating adequately. I was using Osmo powder (sugars, electrolytes) in my water, which provided 70 calories in 16 oz. of water. Other calories cam from ShotBloks, which are ‘gummies’ with electrolytes. My plan was to get in about 250 cal./hour. During the 2nd loop I had margarita flavored ShotBloks so I thought of my brother, mom, and dad each time I ate one. At the ½ way point I took in some caffeine as planned (my first in 2 weeks).

The rain was getting harder and my feet were now beginning to get wet. Soon my toes would be cold and eventually numb. My body, however never got cold enough to start shivering. As the rain became more than random drops I rolled my “arm warmer sleeves” down to my wrists. Being that they were just bulky tube socks, I didn’t want them to get soaking wet and heavy. Eventually I pulled them all the way off but tucked them away in case I wanted them during the final loop.

At mile 63, while carrying some good speed down the hill, I got hit on the lower lip by a flying insect. It kind of hurt and felt sort of sharp. I was thinking, uh oh, I just got unintentionally stung by a bee. So I scraped at my lip in case there was stinger there. Not finding one I pinched my lip some in case there was venom in there as I started to imagine having a huge lip while also hoping I wouldn’t react to it enough that it would affect my breathing or even affect my throat. I was also imagining how funny my face would look in any run photos and finish line photos that were taken. My lip did feel like it swelled a little but a half hour later there seemed to be nothing.

I saw my awesome supporters at Linda’s “Hot Corner” at Alma School Road at least twice but probably 3 times. I was pretty focused on performance and not sliding out and crashing on the turn so didn’t get to appreciate them as much as I’d like. I still got a boost of energy and love each time though. Rain began pelting the helmet around mile 73 for me and it made a fair amount of noise. At times it seemed to come down pretty hard. I only slowed down a bit extra for every right, left, or U turn in order to be safe. I applied the brakes early to ensure that the brake pads and rim surfaces would be dry and functional. Otherwise I’d say the rain was a non-event for my performance.

John and Stephanie were aid station volunteers and I got to see them multiple time – especially John. I took water 3 times during the ride, dropping a bottle once and having to try again.

I had to pee for the last part of the 2nd loop and all of the 3rd lap but otherwise I felt really good. Knee pain barely appeared and never stayed for long. My neck and back were relatively good too. I felt like I was on pace to have a good bike split but I wasn’t exactly sure what my overall time was. I also didn’t worry about it since I wasn’t going to push harder – there was still a 26 mile run after this. For the first time I shifted into the small chain ring heading up the false flat of the Beeline Hwy. I was only in it for a couple of minutes. Scott passed me a few miles from the final turnaround. Then I passed him back for some reason. Maybe I just felt like I was cruising up the hills, not laboring. He passed me back again so I figured that would be it. He said, “I’m starting to feel tired”, exactly as he’d predicted. At about mile 101 I suddenly saw him again… pulled off to the side with a flat tire. I briefly thought about stopping to help but then thought, HECK NO, I’m GOING! I did feel badly for him but then thought that it might be just the short break he could take advantage of to have a good run.

I did manage to pee once on the bike (don’t tell anyone!) on the downhill portion of the Beeline – sweet relief. I taken a water bottle at the final turnaround to partially top of my drink but also to save the water for a post-pee squirt down so I held that bottle in my “butt crack bottle holder” (my racing shorts waistband) until needed. Threw it away at the next aid station trash can.

I eased off just a little and stretched out the back, etc. for the final few miles (should have done MORE stretching). About ½ a mile from the dismount I opened my shoes and pulled my feet out of them in preparation for getting off the bike. I dismounted just before the line, grabbed my Garmin, handed off my bike, and headed ran to get my run bag. Outside the changing tent, who do I see but Natalie. I get a big hug and turn to get in the tent. But who do I see? Chris standing there! Hugs again and then he follows me into the tent. Another volunteer has started to help me and Chris joins in, especially helping with the compression socks I think will help me on the run ahead. I didn’t pre-roll them and they were hard to get on because my feet are so wet from the rainy ride. We eventually get them on (his method was brilliant), I put my shoes on, see I’d forgotten to put Aquaphor on my toes to help prevent blisters, and hoped I wouldn’t regret it.

RUN 4:53:34 (35th fastest in age group - finish in 9th) I push on, out of the tent walking, as I try to take in another dose of Imodium and my amino acids. I forget to use Then I switch my Garmin to run mode and push start, a minute or 2 late. I take it easy in the first mile, walking more than once. Gradually I get my legs going well during the 2nd and 3rd mile and it’s game on. I watch my mile splits when I notice them but mostly I watch heart rate. I was happy to see it in the sub-120 early on, which is a zone 2 for me. It continued to rain off and on, sometimes pretty significantly. I never got cold, fortunately. There is a section from about miles 2 through 4 (and again at 15-17) where the path is dirt. With all the rain these sections were treacherous. While I never walked I tried to be super careful not to slip or do the splits. Either one might have taken me out with a muscle strain or worse.



The run course is 2 “loops” that have out and back portions. It’s easy to “chunk” the run into 4ths because of the layout. Also because of the layout you get to see supporters/spectathletes multiple times on the course. It’s a nice set up. I loved getting to see Linda, Corey, Mom, Phil, Cyd, Tam, Joel, Sally, John, Genna, David, Bev, Stephanie, Natalie, and Chris during the race.

During the first loop (I think) I got word from Tam that I was on 11:07 pace, which stoked my fires. Also I could hear Sally giving me the words of encouragement I was looking for – she remembered (of course she did!) that for me this race was about LOVE – that I Love This; that I love the pain/suffering that can take place and that I want to embrace. The 11:07 would have been a dream finish and I heard it during a point where I was feeling really good.
I got to the half marathon point, feeling pretty good. I’d peed twice which was unusual for me. I think I probably hydrated enough (or even too much) on the bike considering the cool conditions. I decided I wouldn’t make it for another 2 ½ hours without paying the homage to the J-pouch/colitis devil so I “broke the seal”/”popped the cork” and went into the portapotty to do some of my own waste management. I hoped that I could run the rest of the way without having to go again.
Just past transition, heading off to the out-and-back of the 2nd loop, someone named Joanne starts talking to me because of my Team Challenge race kit. She realized who I am and we then talked about ulcerative colitis for 2 ½ miles! Her husband has it and she and I had connected on Facebook 7-8 months ago and had even spoken on the phone once. Crazy she found me on the course!

I needed to pee yet again at mile 14+ but all 4 spots were occupied so I decided to wait for the next aid station a mile away. I thought I was going to die and almost couldn’t hold it. Finally got to a portapotty and went again.

The mud was again treacherous but had improved a little compared to the first pass. My pace seemed to be slowing some but I was still doing alright. Somewhere around mile 18 I spoke to someone from Ireland who was doing his first IM and also has Crohn’s. He lives in the San Francisco area now so of course I tried to sell Team Challenge as we ran. He listened and then ran off – much faster (and younger) than me!

I then just missed a chance to advertise the TC mission and endurance program for the Ironman Arizona race day video. Someone from WTC/Ironman was on course with a camera, recording people and asking them questions like why they were doing the race. He interviewed the person ahead of me. I thought he’d keep running along and do me next so I was mentally trying to have my bullet points ready. Instead he swung around the other way and started recording someone else running in the opposite direction before I could even think to say, “Ask ME!”. I kept running, feeling disappointed for about ½ a mile.

My stomach wasn’t thrilled with my nutrition. Again I was using Osmo and ShotBloks. It just wasn’t pleasant so I took in less. Dehydration was less of a concern because of the very mild temperature. I ended up pretty short on calories – easily less than about a hundred an hour. On the other hand I never felt like I bonked.




My mile splits slowed as I ran on the north side of the river. I followed my “walk through aid stations, run between stations” formula except for some short “hill” sections where I took an extra walk break. Overall I believe I ran my race except for the walk breaks. The final 6 miles were tough and I reverted to the cadence chant I used in 2013. “I love Lin da” went through my head – each foot strike being a syllable of that phrase.

My heart rate never really got as high as I’d intended. I’m sure it was because my aerobic fitness wasn’t the limiter to going faster – heavy legs and fatigue were! I saw Bev just before the finish and she told me the TC Flag was waiting by the Jumbotron and then she yelled and me to go or something about badass or something – I don’t remember now. Just after the turn at the finish chute Corey was holding the flag, ready for the handoff. I grabbed it quickly and kept running. I looked around me and didn’t see any athletes nearby so I held the flag up high behind my head, knowing I wouldn’t block someone else’s finish line picture. I ran in strong and crossed without knowing my time or how much I’d faded.

Mr Mike Riley, the voice of Ironman, called me across the line (though didn't mention Team Challenge this time.) I wobbled a little as I walked. The volunteer kept asking me how I was but eventually turned me loose with my hat and shirt, to have my timing chip removed and my picture taken. At the railing Corey saw me first and got the first hug. Then Mom and Linda. As usual I hugged Linda and cried on her shoulder. It is always such an emotional relief to finish and let it out.


I ended with a personal best of 11:29:27, very close to my goal time. My run was about 25 minutes slower than hoped but my bike and swim were faster. The run transition was slow but that was thanks to my use of compression socks and poorly prepping them for putting on wet feet.

I got my picture taken, got a little food, received a nice massage, grabbed some warm clothes, and waited for Kat to cross the finish line.  We celebrated some more and then headed straight to dinner so as not to keep exhausted spectathletes from some much needed food! Famous Dave's BBQ was open until 10pm so the waited for us. Salmon, onion strings, french fries and iced tea were my meal. (I'd already eaten 3 Clif bars and drunk an O'Douls in the previous 3 hours.) Unlike 2 years ago, we didn't return to the finish line for the final finishers. Everyone was exhausted and wanted to find their beds. And six had to get up early to sign up for next year!


We had a quick breakfast on Monday morning and went back to transition to watch the race video, the awards, and the Kona slot distribution and roll down. Returned to the hotel, packed the car, and drove home. WHAT A WEEK! Thank you one and all!!!

Conclusions: 
  • I am so very grateful for the love, support, sacrifice, and encouragement from my understanding Linda, who makes this possible. 
  • I am also so very grateful for all the love, support, and enthusiasm from my amazing mom and Corey (head Sherpa!) and family and friends who were out there on the course or watching from afar. You all, collectively, give me just one more reason to push through the tough spots and get to that finish line. I’m so fortunate to have you ALL in my corner!!!
  • I have an old man bladder! 1x before the swim, 1x on the bike, SIX times on the run! Geezer!!!
  • A slightly easier effort on the bike could yield a faster run. 
  • A slower first half of the run would yield an overall faster run time. That said, I believed I was running at a sustainable effort that would yield that faster run as fatigue built. 
  • A more perfect final 6 weeks of run training would also make a difference.

Time and Goals wrap up:
  • Experiential goals were mostly achieved. I felt love, joy, and gratitude during many parts of the race. I took in the natural environment, especially on the bike. I relished the pain but will wonder if I could have pushed harder on the 2nd half of the run.
  • Process goals were mostly achieved. I swam and rode with awareness of form and technique to perform well. My nutrition plan was not followed very well but that didn’t seem to hold me back.
  • Performance goals were generally a success. My goal time was 11:26 and being just 3 minutes off doesn’t make it a “miss”. I’m disappointed in my run split and it’s not even as good as my 2011 split. On the other hand, my final 6 weeks of run training were compromised by Silverman 70.3 recovery and slight injuries. This led to a less than perfect final peak and taper.
  • Outcome goal was met. I was aiming for top 10 and got 9th.
  • I'm signed up for Ironman Arizona in 2016. I will have to improve my run to exceed my run goal of this year while maintaining my swim and bike splits if I'm to have a chance of qualifying for Kona. Having only the 35th fastest run time this year but finishing 9th is pretty telling.

2015 splits – 11:29:27 – Swim 1:01:08 (1:34/100m)/ T1 5min23s / Bike 5:21.49 (20.88mph) / T2 7min33s / Run 4:53.34 (11:12/mi) – 9th of 149 in age group, 377th male, 458th of 2681 overall.
2015 Goals – 11:23:00 – 1:04 / 7min / 5:40 / 6min / 4:26
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
2013 splits – 12:06:14 – 1:04.56 / T1 7min51s / Bike 5:25.46 (20.63mph) / T2 6min52s / Run 5:20.49 (12:14/mi) – 13th of 106 in my age group, 740th male, 912th of 2652 overall.
2011 splits – 11:46:56 – 1:01 / 5min49s / 5:32 (20.25mph) / 2min46s / 5:05 (11:40/mi)
2010 splits – 11:51:07 – 1:03 / 6min57s / 5:45 (19.47mph) / 6min41s / 4:49 (11:02/mi)
2009 splits – 12:32:02 – 1:01 / 7min32s / 5:44 (19.51mph) / 6min 11s / 5:33 (12:43/mi)

#IMAZ #getsladed #sladecoaching #IronmanArizona #Mission1660




2 comments:

  1. Post race comment: Of the 8 IM's I've done, I'm the least sore after this one. My legs are sore but I never had to actually CRAWL up or down stairs. Squatting and standing up is still challenging but doesn't elicit groans of pain. My chest/diaphram was VERY fatigued as is typical. Taking a deep breath is still fine though I do still feel it. I'm still planning to take 2-3 weeks off before getting into training for Oside 70.3. No "structured" training for a couple of weeks - just what feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always I just love reading your posts. Thank you for sharing with all of us and congratulations on your PR. I was following you all day online and was blown away by your S,B splits. started feeling your pain on the run but was impressed on how well you seemed to stay consistent. I was really pulling for you to get your dream slot in Kona. Be well and have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete