23 November 2015

Respect the Machine: Post-Ironman/End of Season Recovery

It's been a week since Ironman Arizona and the end of my season. I thought I'd share where I'm at and what I'm doing (and not doing) with my training, my mental side, supplement taking, diet, and more. First the bullet points and then the longer version...
  • For nearly everyone a break of 2 to 3 weeks or more is a smart thing to do after an Iron distance race and/or at the end of your season.
  • Taking a break allows your body to recover, repair itself, quell inflammation, and recharge.
  • A break is a good way to recharge yourself mentally. It allows you to destress, change the routine, relax, and avoid burnout later when training begins to build again.
  • Taking a break from supplement taking is something I like to do just to change things up. I stay on my antibiotic and, because of poor iron levels, I continue to supplement with iron (piggybacked with vitamin C).
  • Diet has been relatively poor for all of last week (e.g. potato chips and Clif bars; e.g. 2 or 3 meals with no vegetables!)
  • Some plans for the coming year have been percolating and are being put together. Some things might be epic! I can hardly wait to share.
Training
Just because I feel like I'm Superman after doing an Ironman race doesn't mean that I am Superman! I know that my body needs a break to recover, eliminate inflammation, and repair itself. It has been put through a lot and accumulated a fair amount of damage. Even though Oceanside 70.3 is just 19 weeks away and my head says I need to start training, I know my body isn't ready for that; especially not a week or two after an Ironman 140.6 mile race, and especially because I've been training for more or less one year. Even though I want to hold on to all that hard earned conditioning, I know that's not really possible. Recovery is so important that I don't want to sacrifice next year's performance by not taking this training break. If Oceanside 70.3 was going to be THE key race of my season then I would have planned out this past 6 to 9 months differently, taking a break after O'side. Now, if I'd walked most or all of the marathon portion of IMAZ then I could possibly be ready physically to train sooner. (That's not intended to put down anyone who chooses or has to walk!) The reason is that the legs don't take the same pounding if you walk versus if you run. 

I'm in a different place physically than after previous Ironman races. I came out of it less sore and more mobil than previously, although the quads still need more time. General fatigue seemed to last for a shorter amount of time too. I was able to walk up and down steps and stairs pretty pain free after just 3 days. Deep breathing ability is still slightly affected but pretty much fine. I also didn't end up with a cold or other illness; something many people experience post-race when their body is especially vulnerable. That being said, there is still a deep level of fatigue under the surface and I know that the body's not ready to go yet. 

I see people jumping right back into training and shake my head. Unless their next "A" race is right around the corner and they've planned accordingly, or they're a pro, I believe it's a mistake for 99% of them. If you want to be in this sport for the long haul, or even just 2-3 years, I think you need to take care of your body - your machine - in order to continue performing at your potential. 

Mental
Beyond the physical, mental recovery is also very important. Even if you're on a post-Ironman high and have high ambitions for that next Ironman, you need some time off from structured training. You need a mental break. If you've been juggling work, family, training, and outside commitments for most of the year, dropping the training will help you reduce stress and be fresher when you eventually restart. It's helpful for nearly everyone to get away from the routine, recharge the head as well as the body, and then slide back into training at the appropriate time. For me, the grind of doing 11 or 12 workouts a week is very ingrained into my routine and are a big part of my lifestyle. However, as training ramps up it does take perseverance and single mindedness to sustain this for month after month. Allowing time to mentally recharge makes burnout less likely during the next block of focused training.

During this down time I have more time to think about Ironman Arizona - my support team, my friends, the volunteers, my performance. It allows me to think about what goals I reached, where I want to go next year, and what I need to get there. Jumping back into training might not allow this kind of introspection to happen. 

Planning for the coming year is also a small part of my down time. If I wasn't coaching then I would actually try not to think about the coming season. I would want to focus things that have been neglected at the height of focused training. If I wasn't coaching then I would jot down some notes about what I think I want/need to do in the coming season and then let it go. Just like in a race: Be in the Moment. Give your attention to what you're doing, enjoy family, friends, and activities that were neglected due to training.

Supplements
Taking a break from supplement taking is something I like to do just to change things up. I stay on my antibiotic and, because of poor iron, I'll continue to supplement that (piggybacked with vitamin C). For the most part I'll not be taking B6/B12, D, K, magnesium, calcium, turmeric, fish oil, or glucosamine/chondroitin. 

Taking a break is an important part of the training process.

#getsladed #mission1660 #sladecoaching

No comments:

Post a Comment