27 October 2013

21 - 27 October 2013 Training Log

This week was a VERY full week of training. And if the previous weekend is included it might be seen as a little ridiculous. However, it's what i think i need to do to be ready. Sorry for the long post. This has been the final FULL week of my Peak Phase. There are 3 weeks until IMAZ and part of my taper will start next week. Because of the training interruptions I had last month, the taper will be a little shorter and "steeper", doing most of the cutback during the final 2 weeks. The coming week's taper will mostly show up in the shortening of the long run and the brick.

On Tuesday morning, as I was doing my least favorite lifts, I would finish the set and think, "3 more times and I'll be done until December." I'm looking forward to the taper and putting the strength training 'on the shelf' until after a little break following Ironman Arizona.Weights are not my favorite thing to do but something I view as a necessary evil. They are slightly more tolerable in the winter but I also don't enjoy the early winter when I first start back. I tend to feel a little frustration that I've regressed from where I left off. I know this will pass as I build back up. Strength training also challenges my patience, not because of the regression and building back up aspect but because I'd prefer more of a constant motion type of workout. Even better if it's outside on the road or path, or in the water. Don't get me wrong; it's not total misery. I've accepted it as part of my routine and genuinely enjoy it sometimes.

I've managed to keep at strength training because of the person who set me up with this - Diane Buchta. Besides the routines and periodization, she influenced me in 2 other ways. 1st, she helped convince me of the benefits of this stuff for triathletes when it comes to performance and possibly injury prevention; not to mention how this applies even more as we pass the age of 35 or 40. 2nd, even though she isn't right there watching me strength train, I imagine that she IS there checking on me, making sure I'm doing things correctly. I also imagine reporting to her every time I progress: when I up the weights or up the reps or purposely make a move more challenging. Funny that I don't actually have to report any of this to her and yet my psyche is affected.

On Wednesday morning i did a long swim workout of 6000 yd, trying to get it in early in the week instead of on the weekend. Cramps didn't strike until much later than usual as a result, and I was able to continue to the end.

On Thursday I did my longest training run, time-wise, in many years, going 3 hours (~15.5mi). A 3 hour run for Ironman training to me is on the border of being too long. I did it this time because of my "sketchy" history (plantar f-ing-itis) with run training. I felt it was worth the risk because of the amount of walking that I do during it, which limits my risk for injury. It was definitely done at endurance level effort. Funny that when I cut the walk in the walk/run ratio near the end of the 3 hours to 30 seconds walk/2m30s run my overall pace per mile didn't change. This was likely due to fatigue and because the shorter walks were not pushed as hard. I skipped my evening trainer ride, a speed session, as I was tired from the run and feeling a cold coming on. Did an easy walk with Linda and the dogs instead. Wish I'd done the speed session on Wed. night instead of the 2 hour trainer ride, since I was going to be on the bike leading a group ride on Sunday.

On Friday I woke up ready to go back to sleep but I wasn't feeling any worse than Thu. night. Went to do my morning swim and strength training only to find that the pool was closed because the lifeguard slept thru his/her alarm. I did my core routine hoping to get in the pool in ~20 minutes but by the time a guard had shown up I was on into the weight room. Done early, I got into work an hour early, hoping I could take a long lunch and swim then, which worked as I got most of the swim in: shortening it by 800 yd.

Saturday was the longest brick of the year - 6h30m on the bike followed by a :50 run. I felt the cold - a runny nose and slight feeling of inefficient breathing in the chest, but nothing else. If it wasn't 3 weeks to race day I would have taken off. I was tired when I was done and very happy that the long trainings are nearly over. I just realized it's a little easier to leave for a long workout in the morning if Linda is still asleep. If she's awake then I'm more aware of missing her for all that time out training. This is when the training takes a toll - so much selfish time taken and yet it's almost over. I've felt this before. Soon enough I'll be taking some time off and we both know it's one of those necessary "evils" prior to race day. The consolation is that I will be ready.

Sunday I was going to do a 1 hour run but skipped it due to fatigue from the brick. Made the decision on Saturday actually. Felt the risk of injury was there, especially when Thursday's run is taken into consideration. Did a group ride instead and it ended up being 2:30 hours mostly at recovery effort or easier.

Next week I'll take Monday off completely. My long run will be cut to around 2:00. The brick will be a 5h30m ride/:30 run. Sunday will be a 5K Komen walk/shuffle with a 6000 yd swim in the afternoon (high risk of it being shortened due to cramps.) My swim taper will be shorter than the bike and run. The run is being shortened first. I'll be done with weights by Friday too.

Week Totals - 
Swim 3 times - Total 12,700yd
Bike 3 times - 2x Road 9:00; 1x Trainer 2:00
Run/Walk 3 times - Total 5:23
Strength Training - 2x upper, 2x core, 2x lower - Chisel Phase wk1 of 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday - Rest day - no training
Tuesday -
am - Swim 3500 yd - speed; Strength train - chisel phase
300S; 8 x 50 RI20s - 2 fly/fr, 2 ba, 2 br, 2 fr; 200K, 300P w/buoy
4 x 100 Fr descend on 1:40 (RI10-15s)
Main set: 4 x (3 x 100 Fr RI5s exactly, 50 ez RI50-60s)
8 x 50 Fr on 1:05 (intended RI25-30s) - alternate ez, fast
100 CD
Strength train - chisel phase; postpone core routine due to time constraint
pm - 1:30 Run/Walk, 7.9 mi
felt sluggish and slow for the first 1/3rd. Breathing felt "hard" even though I wasn't working that hard. Maybe it's residual fatigue from Saturday's long ride.
Wednesday - What was I thinking?! I figured about 90 min for this 6000yd workout. Fortunately I woke up 10 min early and got to the pool quickly.
am - Swim 6000yd - long, endurance
300S, 12 x 25 Fr descend on :30
Main set: 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 2 x 600, 6 x 100 Fr RI10-15s/100 (60s max)
8 x 150 Fr P w/buoy RI25-30s
3 x (3 x 50 Fr - RI 30s, 20s, 10s)
350 CD
pm - 2:00 Trainer bike ride
Thursday - up at 4am for longest training run
am - 3:03:30 Road run - 15.6 miles - 11:29/mile ave pace after WU, before CD
After 11min walking WU, started with 2minWalk/1minRun before easing into 1m30s/1m30s. Last hour + i shifted to 1m Walk/2m Run. Final couple of miles or so went 30s Walk/2m30s Run but didn't seem to go any faster with that. It's likely my walking slowed when it was only 30seconds long.
Had a blended smoothie 10 min prior to run (8oz coconut milk, ~15g vegan protein powder, some powdered greens, l-glutamine, cocoa powder). Didn't take in calories during run. Only drank water/electrolyte mix at 2:45 in - near the finish. The drinking was to thirst and unplanned. The lack of calories was planned as I didn't expect to need any at the intensity i was running and so didn't bring any.
pm - none
Friday
am - Strength train - chisel phase, core routine
pm - Swim 3200 yd
300S, 4 x 50 RI10
10 x 100 Fr on 1:35 (intended RI10s) - range 124-126
100ez, 300K, 600Fr P w/buoy
10 x 50 Fr - 25ez, 25fast on 1m (intended RI 20s)
200CD
Sat
am  - Brick 6:30 bike/:50Run - phone battery died before finish
Sun
am - 2:30 Group Bike Ride, 34 miles - lots of breaks, mostly recovery effort

No comments:

Post a Comment