07 April 2016

Nutrition Race Report – Ironman 70.3 California (Oceanside) 2016

Addendum to my race report:
I was asked about my nutrition so I’m sharing here, along with some details I left out of the original report. My goal for food consumption on race day is to first, supply enough calories to keep me going and second, generate as little waste as a result. Without a colon I have limited storage space for waste.

I had my planned pre-race breakfast as soon as I could, at 4:15.  It was a blended drink with 16 oz water, 4 oz coconut milk, ½ scoop vegan protein (10g), 2 scoops beet powder, ½ scoop greens powder, and 2 scoops of Generation UCAN. I took supplements as well: 4 Extreme Endurance magnesium pills and my antibiotic.

At the race venue I sipped a 16oz water bottle with Osmo Pre-load. I also took 1 immodium pill. That was it until I came back from the swim.

In transition I took in Zipfizz mixed in water (similar to things like 5 Hour Energy) as well as 100g caffeine, ½ an immodium pill, and 6 Perfect Amino tablets.

On the bike I had 600 cal. of Heed (maltodextrin carbohydrate) mixed in 18oz water, plus some ShotBloks chews in case I needed more calories. If I had chosen to go with what I used to fuel with I would have planned to consume 900 calories. I’ve been unhappy with my fueling for the past few years so I cut back some as well as going with something different. In my water bottle I had 30 oz of water with 2 Nuun electrolyte wafers dissolved in it.

What I actually did on the bike was take in about 500 or 525 cal of the Heed. I drank all the water plus got another 6-8 oz in at the final aid station. I felt like I was at a slight calorie deficit when I got to T2. In hindsight I could have used more electrolytes. I had salts in the bento box but didn’t think to use them.

In T2 I intended to drink another Zipfizz but lost the bottle during the early morning. My plan B was to grab some Red Bull on the course.

For the run I planned to carry a sleeve of ShotBloks (200cal) and to supplement with what was at aid stations if I needed to. I wish I’d grabbed my salts from the bike as I could have used some when I was running.  I consumed the Shot Bloks over the first 8 miles, along with probably 24oz+ of water from the aid stations, and about 10 oz total of Red Bull. The only other thing I grabbed was some Gatoraid. I swished some around in my mouth but didn’t swallow, hoping that would help with electrolytes since I couldn’t think of any other options for getting some. I didn’t bonk or feel underfueled. To me that means I had enough to get me through and it meant no stomach upset.

I only stopped to pee once on the run which tends to indicate that I didn’t hydrate quite enough, though I didn’t feel I was thirsty or in dire need of water. No other ‘waste elimination’ was required which, in my books, is a success. For me, having to go #2 is a bit time consuming and tends to lead to repeating the portapotty visit because once “the seal is broken” it’s harder to hold on the rest of the way.


And a final side note on my plantar F-ing-itis: it is still with me in my right foot. I do my best to manage it with rolling, rubbing, stretching, grinding, and occasional icing. It certainly hurt after the race and was pretty bad on Sunday and Monday. Managed to get back to running on Wednesday to train for the marathon. While it was sore afterward I'm ready to put in my 10 miles on Thursday and hopefully be able to get a 20 miler in over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment