07 November 2010

Monday 1 November - Sunday 7 November 2010

Written Sunday 11/7 -  I don't know what it is. I think I felt the same way this time last year. You've worked so hard for so long, you've put in so much time, you're fatigue levels is super high, everything is coming to a climactic peak. I feel exhausted, relieved, anxious, concerned, self-absorbed, and grateful all at the same time. The feelings are ready to bubble over at any moment. And it seems like there is so much left to be done. All of this and Linda and I handling her breast cancer treatment and Son2's lapband surgery AND having 1/2 our house torn up as our 26 year old "vintage" carpet gets replaced with tile. Crazy!

Monday was a rest day, which I used to get physical therapy on my shoulder. I swam on Tue. morning but cancelled the 54 min run, still sore and recovering from last weekend's long run and long ride. Wed. morning's 2:05 spin bike ride went fine, though it took time to build up to a reasonable effort. The swim that night felt good with less shoulder pain than in a long time. The only place it hurts some is the AC joint, not really even in the rotator cuff.

Rode 2hours on the road on Thursday and ran an hour on the treadmill. Walked the last 3 minutes as i started feeling a twinge in my left quad. I think it's still wasn't fully recovered from last weekend's run. Friday was 2:13 on the spin bike.

I also saw Dr Fronek for my torn rotator cuff and AC joint pain. He feels I can do no damage by competing in 2 weeks and that he does not want to inject me again. Also he's not talking surgery regarding the tear. (He does mention there is surgery available for AC joint issues but that's not needed now either.) So it's all 'green light' for me.

Saturday I swam 2.4 miles in a respectable 1:03. It's 2 minutes slower than last year's swim at this time. If I can do that in the open water I'd be happy, considering the year I've had. Decided to move Sunday's Brick to Sat. as there was rain in the forecast and I didn't want to miss riding 4 hours and running 1 hour outside. Sunday became a rest day as i skipped core workout and an hour run. My thinking was that having 2 days off to rest my quads and my left foot would be a good thing. The coming week is all taper, along with trying to balance work, Linda's breast cancer treatment, Son 2's move back to work, and a 2nd week of downstairs chaos as the tile installation continues.

Weighed 154 on Monday to start the week, 153.5 on Friday.
Resting wakeup HR on Sunday - 43bpm (lower than my recent normal 44-45.

Week Totals
Swim 3 times - 9500 yd
Bike 4 times - 8:14 - 2x Spin 4:18; 2x Road 6:01
Run 2 times - 1x run 1:00; x treadmill 1:00
Strength Training - 2x core, 2x shoulder rehab
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. Good work Skip. Keep at it, less than two weeks until race day. I cringed when I saw that you had a twinge in your quad...I hope that is all it was.

    Looking forward to meeting you at the Friday night dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every twinge scares me now.

    Will your son be at IMAZ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The work has been done. Let the stress role off your back. Believe in yourself. I must say your life and mine run parallel in so many ways. Sure hope to meet up with you at the rrace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments everyone! Feeling good, have t-shirts ordered for my support team (can't wait to bust those out), whole family now coming to AZ (except parents), making lists to help calm my head. Hope to meet some great people in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was very nice blog and got lots of information .Thanks

    ReplyDelete