01 April 2009

Ironman 70.3 California is Here

Please note that this may sound like narcissism, self-promotion, egotism, selfishness, self-centeredness, and/or self-absorbtion but really it's just narcissism, self-promotion, egotism, selfishness, self-centeredness, and/or self-absorbtion.

My legions of enthusiastic fans (aka Get Sladed Nation) may be interested to know that this Saturday, 4 April 2009, I will be participating (or should I say competing?) in the Ironman 70.3 California in Oceanside. It's my first half Ironman distance: 1.2 mile swim followed by a 56 mile bike ending with a 13.1 mile run. After 32 weeks of training that's been focused on this event I'll be at the starting line, though I won't be completely ready thanks to a case of plantar faciitus. I am hoping the foot will cooperate so I can finish but there's always the chance I'll have to stop during the half marathon and end up with the dreaded DNF (Did Not Finish) next to my name.

Since all of you are dying to be there to watch, my swim group takes off at 7:13 am. My wave, comprised of 18-24 and 50-55 year old men, will be wearing pink swim caps. (Son 2 is very excited!) The bike leg of the race takes place on Camp Pendleton so, except for the exit from the transition area, you'll have to wait until the riders return before you can catch the run portion and the finish. That might be a good time to take a nap or have breakfast, though I understand that it can be quite entertaining to watch the athletes trying to mount their bikes with numb feet and hands after swimming in 57 degree water.

If your schedule simply doesn't permit you to be in Oceanside in person to watch the event (I can't imagine!) then you can stay glued to your computer instead and go to the athlete tracker. (If that link doesn't work you are also supposed to be able to go to http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/ and click on "athlete tracker" under the "coverage" tab.) They say you can "follow your athlete's progress through the course, with split times, pace, transition, and position information." My bib # is 1294.

My goal is to finish before 1:13pm. That for sure won't happen if I end up having to do a plantar faciitus walk for the half marathon. I'm just hoping I don't finish before 1:13 because I'm FINISHED and can't even walk. I know Get Sladed Nation is keeping their fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment