14 May 2011

Iron Girl Atlanta

It has been a good 6 weeks since I've posted on my training blog. It's not like me to not keep track of my workouts and/or at least comment on the week. I never did it as a teen swimmer and I've maintain a workout log for the past 4 years with triathlon. I usually feel like if I don't do my log the workout didn't happen. I've had to stray from that because of being overwhelmed with higher priorities.

One of those higher priorities comes to it's completion a few short hours from now, on Sunday morning. Iron Girl Atlanta sprint triathlon goes off at 7:00 am and in the first wave of swimmers will be my wife Linda and her sister. The 2nd wave will be her sister in law. In the last two waves, around 7:30, will be our son's long time girlfriend and 3 nieces. All seven will be doing a triathlon for the first time. Some have trained diligently and others have trained almost not at all. I think all of them will face challenges during the race but I think they are all capable of crossing the finish line.

They are all doing this to help Linda mark and celebrate the end of her treatment for breast cancer. Some 12 weeks earlier she felt so bad from the chemotherapy treatment that getting out of bed took too much effort. Then she got to the point where she could walk down the block 4 houses away, turn around, and come back. Slowly she improved and got stronger, 1 step, 1 pedal turn, and 1 swim stroke at a time. We are celebrating her new health and new beginning. I will be crying when she crosses that line and has that finisher's medal placed over her beautiful, no longer bald (1/4" long hair!) head. Seeing all of the women and young women make it to the finish will signal a significant personal achievement. I will be so proud of them all.

3 comments:

  1. Skip, like you said today will be a special day for you all. From this day forward your lives will be changed. Smile, Cry and Laugh. Then enjoy that awesome feeling of turning new door knobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did it, Coach!!! You were simply the best. Always positive, always insightful, always supportive. I love you more than I can express. Can't wait to cheer you on in Houston!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skip, I can only assume that everyone did well, as you are a terrific coach, husband and supporter. I have been looking for some kind of inspiration and I think your wife is just that. I am having trouble finding the motivation to get up to get my workouts in and there is your wife, starting from square one and working hard. Congrats on a great job

    ReplyDelete