24 October 2010

Monday 18 October - Sunday 24 October 2010

Written Sunday pm 10/24 - This was another good week for Linda. She's recovering from breast cancer lumpectomy surgery (and a lousy cold.) We got more good news from the surgeon and we see the oncologist this week to decide what treatment to follow. She may be a candidate for SAVI radiation treatment which only lasts 5 days instead of the standard 6-7 weeks. This would likely allow her to make the Ironman Arizona trip.

I saw orthopedic surgeon Dr Fronek on Thursday for my torn rotator cuff. He did not discuss surgery but did inject the AC joint. Then he called me today, Sunday (!), to see how I was. If there is no change he will likely inject in the rotator cuff. I skipped my swim on Saturday as a result of the injection.

This was a "recovery" week. 4 weeks left until IMAZ. Next 1 1/2 weeks are the final Peak Phase weeks, with the taper starting about 2 1/2 weeks out. Next weekend will have a 6 hour ride and a 3 hour run. If I'm able to do a long swim then it will be 3000 or 3500 yd as I try to make up for the 5 weeks off of swimming that I had to take in Aug/Sept. My extra mean trainer and I have decided to stop lower body strength training a week early, so I'll only continue with core and any shoulder rehab exercises. This coming Monday should be a rest day but Son2 (Corey) is having lap band surgery on Tuesday so I'm going to take that as my rest day instead.

Saturday night's dinner out gave me indigestion/upset stomach/food poisoning(?) so I wasn't sure if I be up and able to do a long Brick. Woke up well enough to do the 3:30 on the bike followed by an hour run. The foot feels fine - no plantar fasciia pain - and my pace at some point on the run was for sure under 10:00/mile. Only swam once last week - pool was closed for 1 workout and then the doctor kept me out for another one.

The end is in sight and I can hardly wait. I'm still playing with nutrition a little bit. Mostly it's just deciding on the "delivery system" of electrolytes and gel (or gel blocks) on the run. How will I carry and access those items. I've been wearing my race clothes for the long workouts to get used to them and to have the pockets available that I'll have for the race itself.

My custom t-shirt for Ironman Arizona came this week. I can't wait to reveal it!

Weighed 156.5 during the week.

Recovery Week Totals
Swim 1 time - 2050 yd
Bike 4 times - 2x Spin 3:12; 2x Road 4:30
Run 4 times - 2x run 1:11; 2x eliptical 1:39; 1x treadmill :45; 1x stairmaster :10
Strength Training - 2x shoulder rehab, 3x core, 2x lower -  Chisel Phase 

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear things are going well for your wife. I can't imagine how crazy things have been for you these past few weeks. Sounds like your body is healing a bit just in the nick of time. Keep up the good work, less than four weeks till the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be crossing my fingers that she gets to do the 5 day radiation and not just so you can do IMAZ!

    Good luck to Son2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck...I hope your wife's recovery goes well, your shoulder heals and you do well in the triathlon.

    ReplyDelete