15 November 2011

Ironman Arizona Pre-Race Training Review

With Ironman Arizona just 5 days away, there is relatively little training left to do. Even the taper is nearly over. Most of the extra time is spent packing and making sure I have everything I'll need, not just for the race, but for pre- and post-race too. (Some of the extra time is used to write these annoying blog posts that I subject people to.) While I "trust the taper" I've also had to make some modifications the past few days. I've had muscle fatigue and soreness in the legs so I've cut back on the biking and running more than planned. Better to go into the race with legs that are rested and fresh than to have lingering fatigue.

I find that this is a good time to review how I've spent this past 6 months, and more, in preparing for Sunday. It has been a journey that's included challenges and a persistent injury, fatigue and frustration, successes and joy (yes, joy). Following a new training plan after more or less doing the same thing for 3 years was probably long overdue. It has been an interesting change and time will tell if it was a good move.

Looking back at my training log has been valuable. During the final 2 peak weeks of training, prior to this taper, I put in more than 20 hours a week. I am a little shocked to realize that, though Mrs Sladed probably ISN'T. I know I was there. I know I did it. And I know I was fatigued. But to now look back and realize that I did indeed do the work, adds just that much more confidence in myself come Sunday. It also makes it easier for me to accept that my taper plan isn't backed off enough and that I'm right to adjust it, even though doing less is not my "normal".

Knowing that I persevered during swim training even though my speed gradually got worse; knowing that the cardio endurance remained strong; and now having my speed return in the taper gives me confidence that I'll be able to maintain what I consider a reasonable pace for me during the 2.4 mile swim. Knowing how many long rides of 5 and 6 hours I put in should help me if I have any struggles during the 112 miles on the bike. Knowing that I squeezed in a substantial number of "medium" length rides of 3ish hours on the damn trainer on weekdays means just as much mentally. And finally, knowing that while I couldn't get much real running in (5 miles was my longest training run), I didn't skimp on how long I spent on the elliptical machine as a substitute. That will get me through the marathon. And it doesn't hurt that having trained similarly in the past makes me believe that I will be successful.

When I jump into the water on race morning, wearing my signed Team Challenge Tri bright orange race top under my wetsuit, I will know that I've done the work. I also know that it will be a long and sometimes difficult day. Because of the distances involved it will challenge me and will force me to see how I respond when the pain comes and the mind screams at me to STOP. I look forward to this. This will make all the training worthwhile. It will show me if I've become stronger and if I've progressed, which to me will be one of the important measures of success. My goal is to be emotionally "even" on that run course, especially when each footstep is tough to take.

It is my intention to race with joy and gratitude and to have fun in a way that, unless you're an endurance athlete, you may not quite fully understand. I can't wait for Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Skip! Own it out there!!!

    Jamie
    http://projectarizona.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete