26 May 2013

20-26 May 2013 Training Log

On Friday afternoon I was doing a :45 Elliptical run. After 10 min I was well warmed up and began sweating but was feeling fatigue in my legs. After 8 min more I checked my heart rate and it was in a low to middle zone 1 recovery level though my effort felt like zone 2. I decided to cut the workout short instead of pushing through. In hindsight I should have tried some sort of gel/quick carbohydrate 1st to see if I just needed a jump start but I didn't think of that in that moment. I still think I made the right choice under the circumstances. I knew I'd be riding at least 3:15 the next morning and didn't want to risk not being able to do that more important workout.

Sunday afternoon I got in the water for a 3rd time but not to swim but to do a water run. It's been quite a while since I did one as I've preferred substituting elliptical runs for regular running when I've needed to. I planned to do :20 as I didn't want to be sore from using slightly different muscles or get that sort of "itchy" feeling from water friction and muscles shaking around... or WHATEVER it is. Didn't get the feeling so extended the run to :30. Hoping I'll not be sore 18-24 hours from that workout.

The longish ride on Saturday was good. Got to ride with friends, one of whom has really raised his game, and left me in the dust. It was still nice to have company and have a chance to chat and catch up.

Only got to swim 2 days this week because of family priorities. Swam twice on Sunday - once in open ocean at La Jolla Shores on a beautiful morning.

Week Totals
Swim 2+ times - 7700 yd
Bike 3 times - 1x Spin :60; 1x Road 3:20 (59 mi); 1x Trainer 1:30 - Total 5:50
Run  times - 0x run; 2x elliptical 1:43; 1x water run :30 - Total 2:13
Strength Training - 2.5x upper, 2x core, 3x lower - 2 sets of 12-15
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mon 
am - none - rest
pm - :40 Elliptical aerobic effort; Team Challenge Info Mtg; Strength training
5:00pm - :40 Elliptical at Zone 2
:10 WU build resistance 3-9 ; :25 resistance 9, incline 1, Z2 Heart Rate; :05 CD
2 1/2 hour break for Team Challenge info meeting
8:10 pm - Strength Train - :09 Elliptical WU; Legs and trunk 2 sets 12-15, Arm specific 1 set (time limited - got 3 days of arms last week so chose to shorten it here and do core on Tue);
Tue 
am - Swim 3100yd Speed and Tempo
WU 3,3,1; 6 x 50 Fr on :50 alt breath warm up set;
6 x 200 Fr on 3:20 - 50 ez, 50 mod, 100 hard;
10 x 50 Fr on 50 - odd # ez, even # H; 100 ez
4 x 25 Fr on :30 - H
200 CD
pm - Spin bike class :60 - Speed and climbs; Strength training (core)
Hard session by my favorite instructor Steve N. (as usual) - Zone 3-4+

Strength training - core (left over from Mon night)
Wed  
7am - :45 Elliptical aerobic effort; Physio appt
WU :10; :30 zone 2; CD :05- felt fatigue from last night's spin class. Considered cutting short but felt better at 20 min mark.
Physio appt
Temporarily took down my standing desk at work to see if that will help my foot.
pm - Team Challenge Info Mtg; no training - rest
Thu 
am - No Swim 
Son2 had outpatient surgery
5:30pm - No Spin Class Bike Ride - Replaced with 1:30 Trainer Bike Ride - Endurance effort
WU :10; 1:10 Z2 Endurance effort; CD :10 - Skipped spin class to be home instead
Fri 
5:45am - Strength Train - Endurance Phase 2 x 12-15 (saved some core for afternoon)
5pm - :18 Elliptical run aerobic effort
This was intended to be a 45 min session. Felt fatique in the legs that I could shake. Although I was warmed up and sweating, my heart rate (HR) was at least 10 beats below normal. Took that as a sign that I shouldn't continue but needed rest instead. Finished core work. In hindsight I might have solved it with some energy gel or carbs - something quick into the system but still satisfied I did the right thing.
Sat 
am  - Road Bike Ride 3:20 moving time, ~59 mi. - Zone2-3
pm - "Cross-training" - work around the house
Sun 
am - Swim 2600yd; Swim ~2000yd - endurance pace
WU 3,3,1 (300S, 300K, 100S);
300 Fr w/hand paddles - easing into using them for technique and strength improvement
3 x 500 Fr - untimed, RI (rest interval) ~:30 - High Zone1 progressing to mid Zone2 effort
100 CD (cool down)
~1 hour break
2000yd OWS at La Jolla Shores
pm - Water Run :30; Strength train
:30 Water run at endurance effort - planned :20 but went extra just because I could.
Strength train - endurance phase 2 x 12-15 reps

No comments:

Post a Comment