17 September 2013

9 - 15 September 2013 Training Log

Wow, what a week! Team Challenge is coming to a peak for TriRock on September 22. All the planning, preparing, coaching, coordinating, adjusting, emailing, supporting, and driving is about to pay off with race weekend. I expect it will be like the past 2 seasons: joyous, exhausting, a relief, and some sadness that it's over.

I started the week (actually the previous weekend - 9/7 - 8) debating and discussing the merits of signing up for Ironman Chattanooga at the end of September 2014 as a Team Challenge team member, doing fundraising and racing for CCFA. Thanks to long time TC Tri team member and mentor, Tracy, coming up with the idea, and Linda thinking it was an idea worth pursuing. The fundraising seems daunting but doable. I think that being able to represent TC Tri at it's first Ironman race will be a great experience and one that could make my knowledge and experience even more valuable for TC in the years to come. It doesn't hurt that we have had great success with the San Diego team, our program is well-thought of, and I'm currently the National coach. We are extremely excited to be doing this next year!

Maybe because of that excitement I over did the run/walk on Wednesday morning after announcing my entry at our group swim the night before. My foot hurt more than usual later in the day. I backed off for the rest of the week and didn't run until the brick on Sunday. I slept in on Thursday morning and was able to ride at lunch instead. That was a bonus that I need to consider as a viable and beneficial option once a week.

Moved into a Chisel Phase for strength training. Will back off on the amount of weight used - back to endurance phase level or slightly less - but will move the weights faster to get more of an anaerobic effect. I will be interested to see how it affects my swimming. Swimming was a struggle during the Power Phase and I should have anticipated and accepted that more. I didn't tolerate the frustration. After this Chisel I'll cycle thru Power once more so I will expect my in everything to go down. I only got in 1 round of core work this week.

Overall the training was spotty this week. Trained the equivalent of 4 days, which is very unlike me. Saturday was off completely for Yom Kippur, so that was planned for. The timing is just unfortunate because the entire weekend coming up will also be off for Team Challenge and TriRock (I CAN'T WAIT!!!). The weekend after that may be severely impacted by work as well so who knows. After that should be a strong block of training right up to Ironman Arizona. Not the best but it may turn out to be great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday
am - Strength Train - Chisel phase
pm - :50 Elliptical - Tempo/zone 3 effort after warm up
Tuesday
am - Swim 3500 yd; :29 Walk/Run - 1m30sWalk/1m30sRun dirt track, 2.48 miles, 11:38/mi
300S, P, K, 6 x 50 P w/bouy, pads
200Fr, 25 Fr, 175,25,150,25,125,25,100,25,75,25,50,25 all RI 15 after each
8 x 50 Fr on 50; 4 x 100K RI 10
10 x 25 Fr on 30, 200 CD
pm - none (300yd+ swim) - Coaching
Wednesday
am - 2:02.02 Run/Walk, 10.59miles, 11:06/mi
pm - none - worked late; wrote Team Challenge email
Thursday - Slept in and got a full 8 hours. Foot has a bit more pain than usual today. No more walk/run until Sunday
am - none
pm - 1:00 Road ride at lunch 17.5 miles
Friday - waking HR=45
am - Swim 3450 yd; Strength train - Chisel
200Fr, 300K, 6 x 75 on 1:30 - 50 Fr, 25 Stroke (worst Fly ever)
500Fr RI 30, 5 x 100Fr P w/pad, buoy on 1:30
400Fr RI 30, 4 x 100 Fr on 1:35
300Fr RI20, 3 x 100 Fr on 1:35
100ez
pm - none - had to work late
Sat - none - very limited sleep - Coaching; Yom Kippur
Sun - slept in 'til 7ish so didn't start the ride until 8am.
am - Brick: Road Ride 5:02 (4:36 moving time?), 83 miles; :30 walk/run - ~11:26/mi pace, :09 cool down walk (with dogs)
Rode from home, down the coast to Fiesta Island, 3 loops of Fiesta, return north to Carlsbad, then home. Followed tentative race day fueling plan. Went well, felt good whole ride. Still not sure about the solid food on the bike (instead of liquid or gels) but we'll see. One of my concern that isn't as big a deal for others is that I want to avoid much waste. My bowels have very limited capacity since the distal end of my sm. intestine was constructed into a pouch and serves as my colon.

1 comment:

  1. What can I say? I am humbled by the very thought of you and what you do.

    ReplyDelete