23 March 2014

Ironman Chattanooga Training - 17 - 23 March 2014 - Team Challenge

IM Chattanooga is still many months away. For training I'm building an aerobic base for the training to come. This week I got in 14 1/2 hours of training, including 3 hours in the gym doing strength training. It included 5 1/4 miles of swimming, 89 miles on the bike, and 21 miles of running: 115.4 miles total.

We are slowly building the long run. It went from 60 min a week ago to 1:15 last week. This week will be 90 min. The long ride on Sunday was spent on a bike path with rolling hills. Was joined by a few triathletes that Linda and I are coaching for Silverman 70.3 in October, on top of being Team Challenge San Diego athletes too. I got in about 45 miles for that ride after a late start. If I don't have everything prepared and ready to go in the morning, and I mean EVERYTHING, it always takes way longer to get on the bike than I expect. It's forever a frustration - you'd think I would have learned by now!

My intention in the next couple of weeks is to focus on solidifying my goals for this race that happens at the end of September. While some goals will remain the same as they've been for my past Ironman races, some will change. Until now the goals have mostly remained in my head for Chattanooga. I need to get them down and "official". I feel an obligation to share them with all who have generously donated to CCFA as I make this journey and I feel that to be worthy of this support I want to lay everything on the line, enjoy the race (that enjoyment includes suffering), and perform my best.

Next week is Linda's birthday so I will need to juggle training a bit more and possibly make a compromise here or there for the love of my life.

Help us celebrate her birthday on the 25th of March! Consider donating $25 (or whatever amount you choose) on the 25th towards our fundraising efforts. https://tinyurl.com/TeamChallengeSlade

No comments:

Post a Comment