26 August 2014

25 August 2014 - Ironman Chattanooga Training Update; Struggle to Run; Leg Cramps

During the past 2 weeks of training there's been a heavy week and a recovery week. The heavy week was just short of 22 hours of training. It included 13,000 yds of swimming, 137 miles on the bike, and 26 1/2 miles running. It also included nearly 3 hours of strength training and about 40 minutes of "training" in the sauna.

This past week was a recovery week where things got dialed back before the final push - 5 weeks until race day! I cut back nearly 5 hours, training 17 1/4 hours. It included 9800 yds of swimming, 85 miles on the bike, and 32 1/2 miles of running. Running was more than the previous week but that's because of workout shifting. Since I have to do my long rides on Sundays and I've lately wanted to get long runs in the following day, I've shifted them to Mondays most weeks. So the "recovery" part of the week didn't actually start until Tuesday. Most years I've not been too concerned about this timing of the long ride and long run but I decided to make an effort to do some of these in sequence (bike 1 day, run the next).

Last week also included listening to one of my triathlon heroes, Mark Allen, speak, and getting to say hello, shake hands, and get a picture with him. Still waiting to receive his book, which I bought as part of his Kickstarter / crowd funding effort, called The Art of Competition.


This week will be my longest training week, probably in the neighborhood of close to 24 hours if I manage to get it all in. At this point I plan to do the long run (2 1/2 hours) on Saturday after coaching Team Challenge Triathlon. Sunday will be an open water swim followed by a 100 mile ride that will include hills and a 30 min brick run off of the bike.

I've been making it a priority to get in one long open water swim each week recently for one main reason. In each of my past Ironman swims I've experienced leg cramps to one degree or another. Sometimes they've been so severe that I've had to literally stop, go vertical, and try to rub and relax them away before continuing. I believe, like most (or all?) muscle cramps, that it is due to fatigue caused by a sustained level of effort and intensity that I haven't trained for. Yes, I train in the pool with plenty of distance and intensity. However, there are walls to push off of in a pool. This gives my calves and feet a change in position every 25 yards which is NOT something that happens in OWS (open water swimming). For an Ironman swim my legs and feet are in approximately the same position for an hour or so. Eventually the muscles seem to say, "Enough! We're tired." Cramps occur, most of which I've been unable to get rid of without stopping and stretching.

Even though I've done more actual 'feet-on-the-ground' run training than ever (no elliptical or water running needed) I still struggle to get going on most runs. The past 2 Mondays are good examples. One was a 3 hour run after work. I was resistant to pushing myself out the door and getting started. 20 minutes later than expected I was finally on the road. Easy jog. Then I think, this doesn't feel fun... or comfortable. After 100 meters... walk. Run easy. Get a little further. Walk again. Run easy. Get no further than before. Walk again. Finally start running with consistency but still take a walk breaks every 1/2 mile instead of the usual mile for the next 20 minutes. I then settled into my normal pattern, though it was slower than usual. It took nearly 1/2 the run - an hour and 20 minutes - to feel good. Well, I never really felt good but at least it started to feel okay. Once I got to that point I knew I could finish it.

Yesterday was a much shorter 7 mile run. Again I felt like walking before I'd gone 100 meters. So I did. Jogged some, walked some. Jogged some more, walked some more. This time it "only" took 2 miles to begin to feel like I was running and getting my workout in. It ended up being a good workout. Don't give in and don't give up too soon. Give it a chance. Just like in a race, things change. You can hit a rough spot, a challenge, a low point. Or, just the opposite! Be prepared mentally to accept this and to push on. Maybe the finish line is too far off to think about at that moment. If so then think about getting the next segment done or getting to the turnaround point or getting to the next aid station, or getting to the next light pole. It's been said before, "They" don't care if you quit. But YOU will know that you didn't get it done.

I'm also in the final fundraising push for Team Challenge IM Chattanooga. I have 3 things I am trying to do between now and then. I still have race belts to sell, which I'll bring with me to Chattanooga. I also want to do a fundraiser with my friend Phil. Caffe Arcidiacono's is a gourmet coffee roaster and distributor of fine Italian coffees. Phil has offered to do a special class that includes education on beans, roasting, grinding, and making delicious espressos, lattes and cappuccinos. Hands on Barista training, as well as plenty of tasting opportunities, will be included! Details posted soon.

Finally, I'm looking for some added strength and endurance on September 28th in Chattanooga. I would like recognize donors and honories by wearing Orange Team Challenge wristbands with their names on them. I will wear them during the 26.2 mile run segment of the Ironman. I hope they will inspire me to survive the low spots, race with gratitude, and encourage others to take notice of CCFA, Team Challenge, and the people that are impacted by Crohn's or Colitis. I would LOVE to "have to" wear 100 wristbands! Details to come.
http://tinyurl.com/TeamChallengeSlade

No comments:

Post a Comment