21 November 2014

Mission 16/60 - Hank

I hope you'll allow me to write a little about my father. Really, it actually does have something to do with Mission 16/60.
My dad's name: Hank. He answered to many other names though: Pestwell, The Banker, Mr Slade, Henry, Henry Lewis, and Frank, among others. Dad died in 2012 after dealing with a triumvirate of diseases beginning in his early 60's. First he had to deal with Multiple Sclerosis. Then he was diagnosed with Leukemia. Finally came Alzheimer's, that cruel disease that robs you of your memory (and memories).

Hank was athletic from a young age and football became a big part of his identity when he played at Santa Barbara High School and then at the University of Southern California on scholarship in the mid-1950's. They didn't call it a scholarship back then but a Grant and Aid, more fitting in his case since he wasn't exactly a "scholar"! He said more than once that the Grant and Aid was very important to him because even though his father could afford to send him to school, this was something he earned and was grateful for. Football kept him in school and it provided him with purpose, structure and opportunity.

As he got older he still participated in sports. He was a member of a "health club" for some years, played tennis and paddleball, was a jogger in the 1960's and beyond - before "jogging" became the craze - and he was always competitive in whatever he did. In 1979 he and his partner built the San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club, which he managed for nearly 2 decades. (When I worked there he didn't want to be called Dad so that's when we started referring to him as Hank.)

He had two sons, first me and then Scott 4 years later. He coached our teams, encouraged us, made it to all our games (unless a USC football game conflicted), and wanted us to have a well-rounded athletic upbringing (no early specialization!). He valued physical activity, competition, and a life-long enjoyment of it.

By the time I started doing Ironman triathlons in 2009 his Alzheimer's had progressed to a point where he didn't truly comprehend what it was about, how far it was, or how long it took. Sharing my experiences with him were pretty meaningless, at least to him, though that didn't stop me from talking to him about the races. When he died one of the regrets I had as his son was him not knowing about all this Ironman craziness that I participate in. I know he would have been proud of me. And yes, even though I'm 50-something years old, that's still a meaningful and valuable thing to have from your parents. (Fortunately Mom is still an energetic 79 years young and exudes support and enthusiasm beyond belief. She is, after all, known as the "Head Cheerleader".)

If Dad had attended my Ironman races he would have enjoyed all the hoopla and athletic celebration, watching the swim start and transitions, observing other athletes, and being a part of the party at the finish line. He would also have been BORED! It's a long day for spectators! (He pretty much hated my competitive swim meets that would take up entire weekends!) At Ironman there's no doubt he would have found diversions and ways to entertain himself AND everyone around him. He was all about joking, pranking, having a good time, and laughing. You can bet he would have gotten any kids around him all riled up!

I am so grateful that Mom is here and part of my Ironman craziness. But it also makes me sad to not have Dad here as I strive for my goal in 2016. I can only speculate on what he would think about it all. He no doubt would have been interested, supportive and proud. And that's what I'm left with. I can only guess the answer to the question, "What would Hank think?" As I train and pursue my goal of qualifying for a Kona slot at the Ironman World Championship, that question may be just what it takes for me to push through difficulties or weak moments in training and racing. It may be what's needed for me to motivate or follow through and not give up. Imagining he is watching and having high expectations may be another arrow for me to keep in my triathlon quiver.

"WHAT WOULD HANK THINK?"


1 comment:

  1. My cup runneth over. What a beautiful tribute from an inspiring athlete who wishes Hank could have shared this experience with him, enjoying the process of all of the training, the competition, the journey. It continues, with many meaningful supporters, but no dad physically on the sidelines. He would be beyond proud! Fire up, Skip!

    ReplyDelete