29 September 2015

Silverman 70.3 Race Plan

Thought I'd post my race plan for anyone that's interested in what detail I like to have before I race. As time goes by I tend to need less of this detail but I still put it in, if only to remind me of what's important.

Outcome Goals:
A Goal – age group top 10
B Goal – finish!
Performance Goals:
A Goal – 5:59 – splits – Swim :30 / T1 :04 / Bike 3:14 / T2 :03 / Run 2:09
B Goal – finish before the cutoff
Past 70.3 Splits
Oceanside 2009 splits – 5:33:53 – :28 / 8min26s / 2:50 (19.75mph) / 2min20s / 2:04 (9:29/mi)
Oceanside 2015 splits – 6:34:51 – :39 / 8min10s / 3:14:10 (17.30mph) / 5min18s / 2:27:54 (11:17/mi)
Process Goal:
  • Mental: I will be emotionally "even" for the entire race, not allowing anything to get me too up or too down. I will be focused on racing. I will carry gratitude, joy, love, and strength in my heart
  • Swim: I will start strong but relax and settle in, draft where possible, stay long, I can’t win the race on the swim
  • Bike: I will start easy/warmup effort on first hill; keep heart rate in zone 2, allowing tempo zone (below 133) on hills. Remember: GWL; I always go out too hard
  • Bike: I will cycle thru my mental check list – relax shoulders and be in aero position; use full pedal stroke; take in nutrition/hydration (early and often); stretch; ask “Will this set me up for a good run?”
  • Run: I will resist the early excitement and even split or descend the 3 loops. I will take walk breaks at every aid station and get plenty of ice and water; 5+ times every mile go thru mental checklist – back and shoulders relaxed, straight waist, take in nutrition/hydration, “Can I do this pace on the 2nd and 3rd lap?”
  • I will finish strong and hard.
Experiential Goals:
  • I will represent my family and Team Challenge with pride, good sportsmanship, and in a positive light
  • I will race with joy, with gratitude, with love.
  • I will have fun with spectators, smile, and thank the volunteers.
  • I will race hard and test my limits under the conditions of the day.
·         
Race Week:
· Plenty of sleep – 7.5hrs minimum
· Daily quiet time: gather mental energy, visualize race, mini meditations, affirmation questions.
· No caffeine for final 2 weeks
· Minimize stress and avoid negative people
· Keep fiber consumption low beginning Saturday morning
· Visit key sections of the course: do a practice swim, drive/bike different sections.

Race – Night before:
  • Eat early
  • Lay out everything
  • Mental – meditation, affirmation, visualization
Race Morning (tentative):
4:10am Wake up
4:10 Bathroom; Drink breakfast smoothie (coconut milk, vegan protein, greens powder, l-glutamine), eat ½ bagel; take supplements: antibiotic, probiotic, magnesium, iron
4:30 Shave; Tri shorts and top on; body glide; Sunscreen lower arms, leg fronts, lower back, neck, face; apply TC tattoos, write with marker (Joy, Gratitude, Love, Strength); Heart Rate monitor; Garmin watch band; last minute stuff; Bathroom; checklist; Pack car – nutrition, wetsuit, swim stuff
5:45 Bathroom
5:00 Leave for race
5:45 T2 Race site (avoid going to T1): Bike ready: Nutrition bottle, aero bottle with water and Nuun, 2 SaltStick tubes, computer, pump tires, Garmin on, low gear, check bike. Bento bag: extra electrolytes, LaraBar pieces, tube with 1 Immodium & 1 caff pill; butt wipes, innertube for pocket. Body marked; Linda sunscreen upper arms, shoulders, calves; wash hands; pump and sunscreen handoff. Focus, visualize, relax, be grateful to be here
6:45 Wetsuit or speedsuit on, body glide, goggles and cap; drop warm up bag?; keep water bottle w/Osmo Pre-load, 3 Tums
?:?? Swim warm up or rubber tubing arm warm up, ez arm swings – give tubing to Linda
7:20 Do pushups while in line?
7:33 Don’t shuffle out to the start line - move
7:36 Swim Start – fluorescent orange caps

SWIM Goal: :30
Race Plan for Success:
- Find clear water quickly; find someone to draft behind
- Steady, sustainable effort – even-paced
Technique Focus:
Efficient pull
Relax legs
Relaxed and strong
Mental:
"Strong and steady"

T1 (Transition1): Goal :04
Wear cool wings; drink small water with ZipFizz, 5 Perfect Amino and 1 Immodium; running mount on bike

BIKE Goal: 3:14 – Ride easy on first hill to start - it's not a sprint! Ride steady in order to run strong
Race Plan for Success:
-Monitor HeartRate - keep below 135 on hills; early on in low 120’s max
-Resist the excitement, shift often, spin up the hills, and pedal down hills
-Stay alert to avoid drafting
-Take water at all aid stations to spray arms, head, back
-Head check top down: Aero position eyes up, neck and shoulders – relax & stretch, hydration/nutrition, breathing, flat back, stretch back, full pedal stroke
-Calories ~800; Hydration – 1 bottle every ½ hour may not be enough – start early
-Bento Bag – 3 Lara bars(blueberry muffin) 2 opened (380cal), 4 Osmo sleeves, lense wipe, SaltStick salt tube, pill container
-Speedfil frame reservoir (160 cal/40oz) – prefilled on race morning with 2 Osmos and water
-Electrolytes – in Osmo; carry SaltStick salt for back up
-First aerobottle filled only with 1 Osmo (80 cal). Add water from aid stations. Refill as ride progresses
-In pill container – 1 Caff tab and 1 Immodium for TC aid station, 2 Tums.           
-In pocket – wet ones, 2nd inner tube

Technique Focus:
Head check top down: Aero position eyes up, neck and shoulders stretch, hydration/nutrition, breathing, flat back, stretch back, full pedal stroke, spin up hills
Relax shoulders
Relax into elbow pads
Stretch neck and back early and often
Head tucked, eyes rolled up – turtle view

Mental:
“First hill is a warm up”
 “Sh’ma Yisrael…”


T2: Goal :03
shoes off at dismount, helmet off, socks off; Drink water with 1 immodium, 5 Perfect Amino; Aquaphor on toes, fresh socks on, shoes on; race belt on with 2 Shot Bloks, WetOnes in pockets, Hand-held water bottle with Osmo and SaltStick; glasses back on if taken off, hat on, wrist bands and race belt on.

RUN Goal: 2:09
Race Plan for Success:
-Resist the excitement - control heart rate - low 120's early, low 130's in later miles
-Walk aid stations
-Focus on form and efficiency and ease
-Start at easy pace, holding back until later miles
-Calories = 180/hour
-Water and ice – drink 32? oz per hour as needed from aid stations. Carry hand bottle with 5 Osmo sleeves and one already opened in container
-ShotBloks - take in blocks – ½ sleeve/hour max (100cal)/1 block every 2 miles starting around mile 3 or 4
-Electrolytes – included in Osmo; carry SaltStick powder for back up
-Tums peppermint as needed – carry
-Base pace on Heart Rate and perceived effort, NOT mile pace – even split or descend 3 loop course

Mental:
 “What would it feel like to run with grace, with speed, and with pure joy?”
"Easy, then light, then effortless"
"What if I let go of my limitations and be a far greater athlete than I ever imagined?”
“What have I decided is not possible that truly is possible?”


This race is about testing limits, pushing my body, challenging myself, and proudly representing Team Challenge, “my” athletes, and my Linda.

No comments:

Post a Comment