24 September 2017

Uneven Training Progress - Ironman Arizona Training Update

I thought I’d do a quick training report for Ironman Arizona instead of a blog post. Feel free not to read.
There are less than 9 wks until IMAZ. Committed training didn’t truly begin for me until 16 wks out so, no matter what, I’ll be going into AZ with the least amount of training I’ve ever done for an IM. Between Dec 2016 and July 2017 there were health issues, a certain lack of commitment, drive, and motivation (partially related to health), and many family priorities (like a WEDDING!). As a result I’m pushing the envelope as I ramp up my fitness sensibly but rapidly. 
My swim fitness is frustratingly slow to respond. I am at least 10% slower than last year and I have felt discouraged with my slow progress. I have to fight with myself to just be patient, do the work, and accept that whatever shape I’m in on Nov. 19 will have to be good enough. I have to remind myself to forget what I have done in the past and simply work hard to be the best I can be NOW.
The bike is progressing and I celebrate each long ride (I’ve gotten in 2 - 95 milers) and every high intensity Wed road ride. The run is a balancing act, trying to avoid escalating my plantar f-ing-itis by choosing the treadmill or elliptical machine in order to avoid setbacks. I just got in a 2 hr long run on Monday and this gives me some optimism. 
It’s too soon to know what I’ll be capable of on race day. So even though I get discouraged I train with an eye on my goals and with the attitude that things WILL come together in the end. Training totals…
16wks to go – 12hr58min
15wks to go – 14:58
14wks to go – 16:54
13wks to go – 17:43
12wks to go – 18:29
11wks to go – 08:47
10wks to go – 14:16

No comments:

Post a Comment