12 May 2017

Goal Setting Revisited

It’s been a long time since I’ve written a blog post and it’s not too late to back away and stop reading… NOW!

A few weeks ago we had a clinic for our team on goal setting. We’ve done this with our athletes every season that we have coached as it’s one of those important things that can easily be overlooked. As we prepared for the clinic I said to Linda, “Hey, I need to do this myself.” I realized that I’d lost my focus, gotten away from zeroing in on what I wanted to accomplish, and just sort of ‘carried on’ in autopilot mode. This has meant that while I still have had the same intention all along, I have not had a laser focus on what my goals are.

I’ve finally worked on that, actually following step by step, our S.M.A.R.T goals worksheet. I know this isn’t the ONLY way to define your goals and to convert some pie-in-the-sky dream into an achievable goal but it certainly is an effective tool in helping you look intelligently at what you want to accomplish and helping you to define where you want to go. Defining your goal, no matter what it is, is an important step in converting a dream or wish into a goal that you work towards accomplishing.


Merely thinking about something you’d like to do or talking about it does not yield results for most people. Most people need to define their goal, determine what it will take to achieve success, anticipate obstacles, be accountable, and be reminded of the goal every day. I encourage you to take the time to do just that. Goal setting can be done at any time and for many things. Though this is about triathlon goals, the same applies to anything in life that you want to achieve, be it something to do with a relationship, with work, or with self-improvement.

If you want to review what this is all about and get serious, feel free to reach out to me for support.

No comments:

Post a Comment