16 October 2017

Training Update - 5 wks to Ironman Arizona

TRAINING UPDATE – 5 WKS TO GO 10/16 Monday
Feel free not to read this update!
There are now 5 wks until IMAZ. This week’s training was about pushing the envelope. Got at least a 5700 yd swim in at Ventura Cove on Wed. And then the weekend…

I “sacrificed” watching Kona all day (until the final minutes) by coming out to Palm Desert to put in some heavy training Fri-Sun. All thanks go to Linda! Rode 50 miles with hill repeats (not steep) on Friday followed by a 3 mile brick. Saturday was a 112 miles ride. Each ride had at least 4000 ft of elevation gain – definitely not planned for the long ride but I “just rode” and decided where to go as I went. That ride was filled with countless deal making. I got to 60 and wanted to be done. Kept making deals with myself about cutting the ride short. And then getting to the next number and pushing on before making another deal with myself. Eventually I settled on 112 and stopped thinking about how far I still had to go, focusing on getting the next 10 mile increment in while managing calories and looking for water and ice along the final 50 miles – it was sunny, dry, and in the 90’s.

One of the bargains I made with myself was to drop the brick run with an eye towards the long run on Sunday. I also decided I wouldn’t swim. Linda looked up the pool hours anyway and discovered I get the senior discount ($4.50), plus the pool would be set up for 50 meter long course – she’s such an enabler (and so much more)! Swam my 3100meter workout, came home, and did the long run - 16 miles in 80 to mid-90’s sunny weather. I’m feeling like I’m nearly ready for the taper that will start in about 3 weeks.

The big challenge this coming week will be traveling to Tempe to coach at AZ 70.3 and to help with the Team Challenge IronTeam. I’ll be trying to squeeze in a long ride on Fri. and a long run on Monday, plus doing all my swims before I go.

HEALTH STATUS: Dropped back to 1 antibiotic (due to colitis related issues) and my symptoms have stayed under control, plus I want the 2nd med in reserve so it remains effective; rib injury basically healed up; lower back mild pain (unchanged); right foot plantar f-ing-itis is about the same but being managed with stretching, rolling, grinding, and use of the treadmill. My weight has quickly dropped off, especially over the past 2 weeks. I can’t seem to eat enough. I’m lighter than I’ve ever been during IM training.

TRAINING TOTALs
Swim – 3 x, 3h35min, 12,874yd (longest=5,700)
Bike – 3 x, 11h34min, 187 miles (longest=112.1)
Run (including 1 brick) – 4 x, 6h05min, 32.3 miles (longest 16.1)
Strength Training - 1:20
This Past Week – 22:34
7 wks to go – 19:23
8 wks to go – 20:39
9  wks to go – 23:29
10wks to go – 14:16
11wks to go – 08:47
12wks to go – 18:29
13wks to go – 17:43
14wks to go – 16:54
15wks to go – 14:58

16wks to go – 12:58

No comments:

Post a Comment