02 March 2009

Dec ''08 - Feb '09 mileage - USA Triathlon Challenge

The annual USA Triathlon National Challenge went on through the end of February. Triathlon clubs (and individuals) kept track of their mileage in each discipline and submited them, trying to be the top club in the US. Each club had up to 75 people reporting miles. There were about 1300 athletes nationwide keeping track and reporting in. After the 3 months my mileage put me in 25th overall with 71.3 swim miles, 1657.35 bike miles, and 146.18 run miles, totalling 1941.13 miles altogether. Essentially I merely stuck to my training plan for the California 70.3 on April 4 but I seemed to be in the minority as far as "early" training goes. I am not deluding myself by thinking how superior I am. I just have found it interesting to compare with others. It did give me a little confidence that I've been doing the right thing and will be ready for the half Ironman (if my foot allows). Mileage is not the only thing, of course, but considering how much endurance is a key to "going long" in triathlon, it does matter.

February was the Challenge's run emphasis. With the foot injury getting worse, I missed quite a bit of running until I switched to water running. I admit I estimated mileage for the runs based on a conservative 11 minute miles, even though I would have been at a higher pace if I was on the road or on a treadmill. My totals for February: 24.51, 502.12, and 66.5, total 592.97. That made me a distant 399th for running miles.

January was the Challenge's bike emphasis and I was 30th for bike miles last month. My totals for January: 22.68, 675.7, and 53.1, total 751.48 miles. With the foot injury my bike totals went up because I cut out some runs and doubled up on the bike. My running has suffered, though, and I'm concerned about coming events.

December was the Challenge's swim emphasis and I was 83rd for swim miles. I didn't do any extra focus on the swim. The totals for December: 24.07, 479.53, and 93.08, total 596.68 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment