19 April 2009

Ironman 70.3 Loose Ends

I'm still buzzing from the accomplishment of finishing my first half Ironman. Without reservation I'm pleased with the outcome: finishing, and doing it in 5:33:53. With the foot injury it allows me to play the what if game, wondering what I could have done if only I had been able to train for the run over the previous 2 months.

Loose ends from the Oceanside 70.3 Triathlon...

1st, I want to apologize to my family and friends who I neglected in pursuit of this goal. Mrs Sladed has had to put up with my even smaller efforts in the housekeeping and yard work. I have been less than available to Laz for chats, working out, and hanging out. And when Italiphil moved a few weeks ago and borrowed the van, I didn't help him lift one box! Focused on my goal? Yes. Selfish? Yes. I'm sorry!

2nd, I just want to acknowledge another positive from the April 4 event. When I first contemplated doing a tri of any kind back in 2006, one of my big concerns was race day nutrition and whether I would be able to adapt and tolerate the nutrition requirements of such an event, given my lack of a colon and the issues I've had. Not only did I wonder if my system could handle the nutrition that athletes use during races but also, would I have to make multiple stops in the Biffy (i.e. portapotty)? This unknown has worked out just fine for me so far and given me confidence that I can go a full 140.6 mile Ironman, at least nutritionally!

3rd, I regret not staying for the awards and "roll down" at the end of the race. One Ironman Kona spot was offered to the top finisher (that was not me of course). Also offered was one spot in my age group to the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater, Florida. The way it works is it goes to the highest placed person who is there in person who wants to accept it. Even though I finished 37th I could have taken the spot as it rolled down to something like 45th place! If there's a next time I think I'll stick around just in case. I think it would be an awesome experience to participate in that race even if I'm not likely to be very competitive. Just being there with all those great athletes (and with the TV cameras!) would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment