21 March 2011

Monday 14 March - Sunday 20 March 2011

Written 3/21 - This was supposed to be a recovery week of sorts but it didn't feel like it. Probably because last week's training saw a few missed workouts. And also because I shuffled my workout planning a little to allow me to do a modified taper for Cali 70.3 in Oceanside beginning this coming weekend, March 26th. I am counting on being able to start running again this coming week after I see the Physical Therapist on Tuesday. 

This past week I managed to miss a 1 1/2 hr moderate effort bike ride and a 40 min recovery effort run. I also skipped one strength training workout for the legs specifically. The run and the swim were based on extreme fatigue and good judgment (I hope). Sunday morning the rain managed to stay away until after 1:30 pm so I got my 5 hour ride in on the road. It was 3 challenging hours followed by 2 hours of misery. Didn't know why it's so difficult but upon further review I think it had to do with maintaining a higher than usual heart rate than I normally manage on these training rides. It also included some pretty strong winds - 20-28mph - at times. I also tried something different nutritionally to see if it might work for me at IMTX in May. Finally, maybe I should get a little company for at least part of these long rides! 

On Saturday, with my calf still mending, I did a 2hr 20min water run. I was happy to get it in as I spent about 5 hours prior to that traveling and taking CPR for my coaching certification. That was after doing a decent 3800 yard swim workout, including 3 x 1000 freestyles on 15 seconds rest. 


I'm happy to report that Linda is continuing to get stronger. She got in both weekend workouts, on Sunday going 20 min on the exercise bike, followed by 30 min walking on the treadmill. No swimming yet as we want to make sure her shoulders feel 100% before she starts that.


Weighed 154 during the week.

Week Totals
Swim 3 times - 9650 yd
Bike 3 times - 3 x Road 8:21 (1:27.3 mi)
Run 4 times - 0x run; 2x walk :45; 4x water run 4:10
Strength Training - 3x upper, 3x core, 2x lower
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mon  rest day
Wed Road bike ride 1:35; 24.2 mi
8 x 3 min at high intensity/~3 min recovery
HR152max; zone5- .75, z4- 27, z3-29, z2-32, z1- 5
...
Sat
am -Swim 3800 yds
600 wu; 3 x 1000 Fr RI 15sec - 14:29, 14:15, 14:31; 200 sd
pm -Water Run 2:20
Sun
am -Road bike ride 5:06; 74.9 miles
HR143max/123ave; Zone1- 4.5, z2- 44, z3- 3:44, z4- 33, z5- 0
pm - Skipped 40 min recovery run; Strength training - all but leg work

2 comments:

  1. Wow, just looking at your recovery week makes me exhausted :) How do you pass the time and what do you think about on 5 hour bike rides? I get soooo bored I can barely stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that I used an ipod for this 5 hour. It helps that I have a fantastic view of the Pacific for a lot of the ride. Still, there is lots of mental fatigue as well. I keep checking in with myself on technique, nutrition, and hydration, plus awareness of conditions around. That only occupies a few brain cells though. And as I mentioned, I think I need to start riding with someone!

    ReplyDelete