08 July 2011

Monday 27 June - Friday 8 July 2011

The last week and a half was a good training week although one essential component, sleep, got shortchanged. Not good. Linda and I got out to Palm Desert for the weekend. I got in two 2 hour rides for training. I didn't run since I'm being cautious with my feet - don't want plantar f-ing-itis to return so I've stuck with the elliptical all last week and did my 90 min. run on a treadmill this morning. I've managed to get my two strength training sessions in per week and think that's doable.

The big training news for me is that we decided that I could get my own outside coach. I've been pretty much sticking with a similar plan for all 3 of my Ironman races and feel it's time to change things up a little to see if I can make new gains. I'm also having a hard time managing my own training while making sure everyone I coach is taken care of. In addition to all of that, since it is an online coaching service, I will gain some experience and insights in how to do that better. I trained 7 women for a sprint triathlon earlier this year and most of that was done by email, Linda being the big exception there! So not only will I benefit from a new program, it will also help me as I coach others. 

I've decided to go with triathlon legend Mark Allen's training program. It will not likely involve much, if any, personal contact except maybe through email but I look forward to the experience. I respect and appreciate his approach to training and to triathlon in general and believe some of that will carry over into my training and coaching as a result. I'll begin with the program next week, which will give me 19 weeks of training. I've put in 4 weeks using my previous plan so the new training will build off of that.

One of "my athletes" on Team Challenge did a sprint triathlon a couple of weekends ago and placed 2nd in his 25-29 age group. He still has 8 weeks until his A priority race and should see a good amount of improvement as he progresses through his training. I'm tailoring a plan just for him as he has different goals compared to the rest of the Team Challenge members. Competition will be much stiffer for him at the TriRock on Sept 11.

Son1 is down this weekend so hope to go for a training ride with him on Sunday. Maybe he'll go bike shopping with us for Linda's bike. He's talked me into riding with him and some of his buddies in the MS Cure 2 day Ride that starts in Orange County, goes 100 miles on Saturday,  and finishes at Mission Bay with 50 miles on Sunday. This is in October so not only will it be fun to ride with the "Lazer Wolves" but it will be good for training as Ironman Arizona approaches 5 weeks later. I've also signed up for an Olympic distance triathlon in September in San Diego. It'll be my first non-Ironman or half Ironman triathlon in over 2 years. Because of injuries and issues, everything has been focused on going long. I'm excited to race something shorter even if I'm not specifically training for the distance.

Finally, I posted a little something about the joy of swimming fast and strong on the coaching blog at if you wanna read it... no obligation!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are getting Mark Allen to help with your coaching. He is the best!!!
    I am sure you told him you know me.
    The MS Cure 2 day ride sounds great...esp with your son.
    Keep up the smart training!!

    ReplyDelete