10 July 2015

Workout Towel in the Weight Room

Tell me I'm wrong if you want...
I was in the weight room this morning, finishing a set using dumbbells, standing next to a weight bench before getting back onto the bench for some chest press. A guy asked me if I was using the bench and I answered, "Yes, I am using it." He walked away as I moved back onto the bench. Next thing I know he's on a vacant bench next to me. He tells me I should be using a workout towel. I tell him I use the gym wipes (that kill germs, etc) instead. But he refuses to listen, calls me a scumbag, and says there are signs saying I need a workout towel. I think he was mad already because I wouldn't give up my bench, and given his level of confrontation and hostility, makes me think he was on something (steroids?) I moved off to use a couple of machines with my workout buddy and we discussed "the towel" issue. The guy heard us, came over, got in our faces again, said we had to have workout towels, and called us "sissies"! I could say more about him, his over-the-top reaction, and his hypocrisies but I'd rather give my viewpoint.

Setting the jerk aside, I've actually made observations and expended mental energy thinking about this over the last 6 years that I've been strength training. I consider a workout towel to be GROSS, not the LACK of a workout towel. If you are lifting weights, sweating, and using a workout towel under your head and to wipe up after yourself, I say THAT'S unsanitary. You're wiping the equipment off and SPREADING your sweat (etc) around more. If you're lying on a bench in a sweaty shirt but have a towel that's only big enough for your head and shoulders then what about your lower back, your legs, and your backside?! I don't see how someone can look at this objectively and think that this is a "clean" way to do your workout.

On the other hand, when I sweat I use the gym wipes that are proved. (I admit I've been lax on this lately, mostly because I'm not doing much if any sweating through my clothes.) When the wipe dries out I recharge it with hand sanitizer so that I'm not just rubbing sweat around, I'm also trying to kill germs with the sanitizer wipes. Sometimes I'll even use the wipe before I sit down so I can try to kill whatever germs someone else has left behind.

So am I wrong? Should I be using a workout towel? Am I being reasonable or not? I WON'T ask if I should spend less time thinking about these things - that goes without saying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment