24 September 2018

Ironman Chattanooga in 5 wks

27 August 2018 Update

Here’s the 11th training update. No obligation to read! Looking ahead, there are 5 more weeks of training until Ironman Chattanooga!

Thank you to those who have sent kind words of encouragement! It was a heavy week of training and the fatigue is pretty heavy at this point. I’ve experienced this level of Ironman training fatigue many times so I’m not freaking out about anything. I know that I’m going slower too but that’s temporary. My tolerance of even small problems is low and my patience is lacking. On the other hand whenever I look in the mirror I’m amazed (yet again) what happens to my body when this much training is going on: lean/low body fat, defined muscles, veins popping. I can barely eat enough to fuel the training.

The injury to my hip flexor is essentially gone. I only missed a short 2 mile run last week. I’m still having issues with my back and psoas muscle. On the 116 mile long ride I decided to get a bee venom injection in my back. Unfortunately the little bugger stung my right butt cheek instead so it didn’t help my back one bit! Now I have a nice, puffy, itchy welt. My long run of 17+ miles was slower than I’d wanted. It was tough going but am happy to have gotten it in. 

This week I also began some heat preparation in case Chattanooga is hot like it was last year. I won’t do a lot of it until the final 3 weeks but I have returned to the sauna. 10 minutes 3 times last week. I’ll aim for 15 to 20 min each time this week. 

Thank you to all of you who have donated to my fundraising efforts as part of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation’s Team Challenge Iron Team. I am very close to the $6000 mark! If you ever want to add to it, the link is: online.ccfa.org/goto/skipslade 

This week’s totals: 24hr 47min (not counting sauna time); 241.0 miles
Swim 3hr 56min – 12,642 yds (3 swims), longest: 4,267 yd
Bike 11hr 32min – 196 miles (3 rides), longest: 116 miles
Run 6hr 39min – 37.8 miles (3 runs), longest: 17.5 miles
Strength Training 2hr 40min
Body Wt. 156 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment