24 September 2018

Ironman Chattanooga in 9 weeks (16 to IMAZ)

31 July 2018 Update

Here is the 7th update on training for Ironman Chattanooga and Ironman Arizona. Health-wiseI’ve gone back onto one medication due to ulcerative colitis type symptoms. It was nice to have a 7 week break from meds but it makes sense to go back on for now. I’m also getting some physical therapy to relieve some lower back pain and psoas muscle issues. The person working on me works with athletes and has put my on the right track. 
  
There are now just 9 weeks until Ironman Chattanooga (16 wks to IM Arizona). I treated this week as a recovery week for swim and bike, knowing my training time would be limited with Linda’s and my mid-week getaway. It was very hot in Palm Desert but I got 2 good runs in… indoors on the treadmill!

Sunday was a big training day: 2 mile swim, followed by a 95 mile ride, finishing with a 3 mile run. The ride started out slowly as I wasn’t well-organized after the swim. I also didn’t really want to be on the bike because son Marc was in town visiting so even though we were together on Sat., and I’ll see him again in 2 weeks, I wasn’t very happy. After 20 miles I settled into a good space and rode quite a few miles at race pace. The final 15 miles were tough as I was tired and the summer traffic on the road in the afternoon along the coast was crazy.

The long run this morning was extra tough as it was pretty warm and humid, and the air was still. The sun was out and I definitely felt yesterday’s long day of training. It was the longest run to date: 15 miles. Looking ahead I’ll probably not do a training run longer than 16 or 18 miles between now and race day. 

Thank you to all of you who have donated to my fundraising efforts as part of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation’s Team Challenge Iron Team. If you ever want to add to it, the link is: online.ccfa.org/goto/skipslade 

This week’s totals: 18hr 30min
Swim 1hr 58min – 6,725 yds (2 swims) - longest: 4,050 yd
Bike 7hr 15min – 113 miles (2 rides) - longest: 94.7 miles
Run 5hr 06min – 26.0 miles (3 runs + 1 short brick run) - longest: 15.3 miles
Strength Training 3hr 15min

No comments:

Post a Comment