11 December 2010

Post Season Review and Evaluation

1. Season Goals - What were they and did I achieve them?
My initial goal was to get my heel healed. If that happened and I was allowed to start running, I hoped to break 5:30 for the Ironman California 70.3 and improve my marathon time at Ironman Arizona 2009 of 5:32:02 by going between 4:59 and 4:30. My plantar fasciitis improved enough by May to allow me to run on the ground 1-2 times per week. This was not in time for the California HIM so I dropped out of that race after the bike. Ironman AZ was a success, going 11:51:07 (with a 4:49 marathon), improving by 41 minutes.

2. What were the high points of my season, the things I was most excited about?
I recovered from 3 hour emergency surgery for a blocked small intestine in a relatively short time, allowing me to start training for IMAZ without losing any time. Being able to do run training on solid ground for 5+ months in order to achieve my IMAZ goal was exciting. Going 11:51 landed me right in the middle between my dream goal and my realistic goal despite some poor weather conditions on the bike portion. I was also surprised and pleased to run a 10K race in a best time that was sub-:50.

3. What were the misses this season: the things I didn't accomplish or missed out on.
It took longer than hoped for me to heal from plantar fasciitis. This frustrating delay left me with a DNF for IM Calif. 70.3. Shoulder problems and a torn rotator cuff during the summer threw me out of swimming for ~5 weeks. It also made doing the La Jolla Rough Water Swim Gatorman 3 mile a bad idea so I didn’t swim that day. I also didn’t get to do any sprint or Olympic triathlons and very little run racing as a result, making sure I got to the IMAZ starting line. It meant lots of training with very little racing.

4. How did I feel about my fitness this year? What were my biggest strengths?
I felt more fit than last year in the area of running. Cycling probably improved but it was hard to measure. My core was stronger, as were my legs.

5. What in my training brought about the strengths?
I was able to do more real running as well as use the elliptical machine. Weight training for the legs and core was consistent over the entire year.

6. What were my weaknesses in fitness?
Swimming and upper body strength training took a small hit due to the shoulder injury. Cycling also didn’t improve as much as I’d hoped or expected.

7. What could have been done to address these weaknesses in fitness?
Cautious training to avoid injury would help. Continuing with “shoulder rehab” exercises should help keep me from slipping back further. I believe that I am not as strong and efficient as I could be on the bike. One-on-one coaching would certainly be beneficial. More time in the saddle of my own bike instead of in a spin class would also help. A couple of long rides were missed in the 2 months leading up to IMAZ that normally would have been accomplished. I now have a trainer to use that will allow me to do more of my shorter rides on my own bike instead of in a spin class.

8. If I could change one thing about the season, what would it have been?
Two things: not having my wife diagnosed with breast cancer and me avoiding injuries.

9. Based on this season, what are some initial goals for next year?
I have 2 Ironman races and a 70.3 scheduled for this coming season. I would like to get into the 5:10 or below range for IM Calif 70.3 in the spring. IMTX in May will be my 1st hot weather race. My goal is to be well-acclimated and finish in the top 10 of my new age group (55-59). IMAZ in Nov. will be my 3rd effort there. My dream goal would be to break 11:00 and make the podium (top 5). A more realistic goal would be to break 11:20. I also have the goal of improving my race nutrition so that I have no issues for either IMTX or IMAZ.

10. Anything else I want to discuss about this year and next year?
I maintained a good weight during the season, though during the weeks prior to IMAZ I dropped from around 156 to 151.5. This was likely beneficial for me but am uncertain how it happened.

1 comment:

  1. Skip, great season. Hopefully next year you will be healthy, your wife will be cancer free, and everything will just fall into place. Thanks for comment on my blog regarding your bike splits from 2009 vs 2010. I definitely think I could have gone a bit faster, but hey, everyone had the same conditions.

    As for 2011, I am looking to do a couple 70.3's (maybe San Juan it things fall into place soon) and a bunch of sprint and olympic distance. I'll throw in some running races as well (half mary's, trail races, etc.). My goal is to get faster. Yee haw.

    If I don't "talk" to you, I hope your holiday's go well.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete