21 January 2015

Carlsbad 1/2 Marathon / Mission 16/60 Update

It's been at least a month since my last update. Like so many other people it was a challenge for me to get all my training in during the last few weeks of  December. Family, friends, and other commitments tend to be extra high priorities and that was the case for me too. Along with that came a cold that last a few days. After recovering from that, first some back muscles seized up and then my left Achilles started complaining. Each of those things cost me about 3 days of training.

Otherwise I've been swimming at least 2 and usually 3 times a week, riding 3 times a week (all shorter stuff on the trainer or in a spin class), and running at least 3 times a week as well. Strength training has averaged 2 1/2 times a week. All of this has been part of my change of focus this year. Mission 16/60 is still in place and running has been the highest priority. Doing speed work and strength work on the bike is also part of the focus and I find indoor cycling classes push me the most to get some of that. Longer rides out on the road will need to be started this weekend because Ironman California 70.3 (Oceanside) is about 10 weeks away. Adding a 3rd strength training session when I could fit it in on the weekend was just a way to change things up some after doing a twice a week routine for a few years. The original guidance for this training is from my guru/expert, Diane Buchta. She KNOWS her stuff and she has helped me to have much success in this long distance triathlon game.

Weight and nutrition are another matter. So I'll be open with this like I've tried to be with my training and challenges. My current weight is 165.5 lbs. It's a good 12 pounds over what I feel is my ideal race weight. I'll write more on what I intend to do about it soon.

Linda - Thomas Bloom (Mom took photo)
The 1/2 marathon at Carlsbad on Sunday was a success. I read my race report from 2 months ago to refresh my memory on what I did right and if there was anything to improve on besides my time. Unlike the November race there would be undulations on this course so my splits would not be as easy to gauge. I chose to run by heart rate and feel instead. Based on that I think I had more even splits than in November. I started at a more reasonable pace the first 3 miles. I wasn't able to speed up as much at the end of this race but that seems to be because of more consistent and faster middle miles. In the end I dropped 2 minutes off my time and was quite happy with my effort and performance. Although being 5 or 10 minutes faster would be a dream come true, it will obviously take a lot more hard work and some good fortune.

Caitlyn Pilkington, Boston Qualifier
The race itself was well run and the course was nice... and on familiar roads. I've done many training rides and runs along sections of it. Linda and Mom were out on the course where we barely saw each other at around mile 5 and then again at mile 8 or so. I took water in at about every other aid station - so roughly every 2 to 3 miles. I took in a 100 calorie gel with water at mile 6 and again at mile 9 or 10. Once again I was surprised to see how many people don't cut the apex on the curves but simply follow the painted line on the asphalt.

Post race I met up with family and a number of Team Challenge friends. (Not pictured include Kat, John, and Genna.) The best was hearing that Caitlyn Pilkington finished her first marathon in a 3:29, a Boston Qualifier!

Boring Stats:
mile 1 - 9:05 pace (a little crowded) / Heart Rate ave 121
2 - 8:19 (down hill) / HR 131
3 - 8:52/ HR 136
4 - 8:20/ 138
5 - 8:49 (up and down) / 139
6 - 8:36 (up and down) / 136
7 - 9:22 (steepest section - walked more) /133
8 - 8:35 / 137
9 - 8:44 (some uphill) / 140
10 - 8:29 / 138
11 - 8:26 / 144
12 - 8:19 / 144
13 - 7:59 /146
13.29 - 7:49 finishing pace / 147 HR ave
Official Time 1:54:26
Unofficial 13.1 split = 1:53:09
Personal best, previous best 1:56:26 (16 Nov 2014)
52nd of 170 in age group
841 of 2713 men
1301 of 6653 Overall
Age Grade: 62.81%

No comments:

Post a Comment